Job Title: Human Resource Manager
Organisation: Appliance World Ltd
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Managing Director
Appliance World Ltd (the company) is one of the largest organizations in Uganda dealing in consumer electronics (refrigerators, microwaves, audio products, televisions, and washing machines), commercial air conditioning and mechanical ventilation, mobile phones, computers/network monitors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Administrative duties which include staff attendance reports, salary calculations for casual employees, forms & documentation related to leave, sickness, absenteeism & other information required for the staff file.
· Handling of employees issues – this includes employees having problems whether personal or to do with work, problems with other staff members. The idea here is to be very open and welcoming to an employee so that he/she is free to see you regardless of the issue. You are a friend when need be and a HR manager when need be.
· Discipline – you must be strict but fair. Wrongful acts/behaviour must be acted on. Records of action taken must be recorded and stored in the employees file. Note that it is important that you do not gain the reputation of being a prison warden or a incumbent dictator. This shall simply drive you away from the company’s goal of harmony in the workplace. Appraisals also fall under this area. It is important to review an employees’ performance at least once a year.
· Proactively looking for signs of problems. Learn to poke your nose in every area of the company’s operations. It is your right after all. Do not feel that you are interfering in someone else’s business. Every department, every employee and every operation is your concern. Many times problems are not brought to you but noticed by being observant and curious. You must do this from day one.
· Recruitment of new employees. All steps from advertising or selecting from existing applications, to interviewing, to recommending to drafting appointment letters and getting all other forms signed and back ground checks done. Many times, urgent recruitment is required. For example, in the case whereby the company has got a air conditioning project and technicians are needed or where stores needs extra loaders for a temporary period. Always have a database of the positions where urgent need can arise be present.
· Finding talent. The company is always on the lookout for that someone who has that amazing ability, talent and willingness. A list of potential candidates for various positions must always be ready and available should the need arise.
· Pay special attention to the Air Conditioning Division. This is where there are generally a lot of issues to resolve. Either there are conflicts or there is absenteeism which is causing hindrance to a project. Or there could be need for reallocation of technicians. Note that at Appliance World, whilst there are heads of department, it is you
· Smelling/sensing when other managers who are above you in hierarchy are not performing their role properly and solving the problem or bringing it to be MD’s attention. The art of telling someone above you what to do without offending them is one that you have been deemed to have.
· Being in charge of administration such as approvals for money for various purposes including purchase of stationary, airtime, payments to the cook and many other items.
· Other administrative duties which include approving leave, advising when you feel that a member of staff deserves an increment, preparation of warning letters, ensuring that disciplinary action is implemented.
· Be prepared to deal with crisis situations all the time. One moment police has arrested a driver at which point another vehicle has run out of fuel at which point somebody was injured on site at which point stores are not offloading a container because loaders did not turn up. All of these and more happen all the time and sometimes at the same time. You will be expected to deal with all of these.
· Keeping all staff data in an organized manner. This should include appointment letters, any changes/addendums, warnings, correspondence, bio data, etc.
· Presenting deductions per employee to the accounts department so that salaries can be paid appropriately. Deductions may include absenteeism, un-paid leave, etc
· Regularly interacting with departments and their heads to see if you can help in resolving any problems.
· Ensuring that an updated list of staff and their salaries is presented on a monthly basis to our insurance company to enable them to cover Appliance World on workers compensation.
· Ensuring that all the company’s insurance policies are up to date and appropriate to the company’s needs. The company’s need change as the company grows.
· Dealing with and approving payment for casual labourers.
· Dealing with maintenance issues, for example, plumbing issues, issues to do with National water & UMEME, telephone network system, internet, etc. The company also has an IT manager who will work with you on this particular duty. However, you are finally responsible.
· Keeping records of and dealing with employees leave, sick leave, unpaid leave, absenteeism, etc
· Dealing with and keeping records of staff loans.
· Ensuring that you are fully aware of what goes on in all departments, solving their issues as well as following up with them.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience: The Human Resource Manager should have at least five years’ experience in a similar role
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CVs via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should be the email itself and your CV should be attached in Word or PDF format. The subject line of your email should be the job title followed by your name, eg Imports Coordinator – Allan Nsubuga
Deadline: 10th December, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline