Job Title: Communications Officer
Organization: International Community of Women Living with HIV/ AIDS East Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Program Manager
International Community of Women living with HIV/AIDS East Africa is a regional advocacy network and membership based organisation. ICW Eastern Africa exists to give visibility to women living with HIV in Eastern Africa. ICW Eastern Africa believes that gender inequalities and the lack of sexual & reproductive health & rights for women are at the heart of the HIV epidemic.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will manage communication, monitoring and evaluation function and ensure visibility/positive image of ICWEA.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate inter and intra-programme communication to facilitate access to information on core programme activities, status, output, achievements and challenges;
· Coordinate communications planning and briefing, including press conferences and media interviews; Liaise between the organisation and networks and stakeholders;
· The incumbent will facilitate communications with all ICWEA members, country chapters and partners using appropriate channels.
· Develop relevant messages and appropriate media channels that provide strategic solutions to communication challenges;
· Enhance the public image of ICWEA through strategic communications and developing media relations with local, regional and International media;
· Work in close liaison with relevant staff members, actively participate in the development of technical papers and policy papers, submissions, written reports and briefings on policy, legal or research issues, as applicable;
· Strengthen staff skills in communications, social media.
· Support programmes proposal development, and assist with designing and implementing programme activities or concepts regarding communications activities;
· Produce compelling news stories/press releases, blogs, internal newsletters, media briefs, training documents, presentation materials and other communications products;
· Manage the production of internal and external IEC materials and publications;
· Manage the production and publication of ICWEA quarterly and annual reports, and in consultation with the management team and programmes & M&E teams, develop the report structure;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should hold an Honors Bachelor’s degree in Communication or Public Relations or International Relations or ICT
· At least three years’ experience in communication, public relations, and media relations in the media house, INGO’s sector, international organization or government with experience in successfully leading the development and implementation of communication strategies for a humanitarian organization;
· The applicant should must have worked with an organization that deals with HIV&AIDS, women's health or an organisation for women living with HIV and with an in-depth knowledge in communications, advocacy or fundraising;
· Excellent command of written and spoken English and knowledge of Swahili and /or French will be an added advantage;
· Demonstrable track record of leading change which has led to significant results for the organisation and their stakeholders;
· Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching, and strong writing skills;
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mindsets;
· Ability to present complex information in a succinct and compelling manner;
· Previous experience of building personal networks, resulting in securing significant new opportunities for the organisation;
· Demonstrable experience in Microsoft Office suite of programmes and design programmes;
· Demonstrable experience in publishing, website and communication product development and design;
· Visionary, with strong initiative and ability to work without supervision;
· Excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills;
· Show commitment to work as reliable, honest and trustworthy team member;
· Ability to work comfortably and effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to establish and maintain constructive working relations in multi-cultural environment.
· Multilingual candidates (English, French, Swahili) are encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Note: ICWEA is an equal opportunities organisation but this position is ONLY open to Women openly living with HIV.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send in their applications with a cover letter and detailed CV together with academic documents and testimonials indicating the position they are applying. The position applied for must be clearly marked in the Email heading or on the top of the envelope which must be addressed to;
The Executive Director, ICWEA,
P.O. Box 32252, Kampala Uganda
E-mail to: email@example.com and copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 12th December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline