Job Title: Economic Strengthening Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Economic Strengthening Technical Lead
Mercy Corps is an International non-profit organization that has been operating in Uganda since 2006 and works to catalyze change makers within the Ugandan private sector, civil society and government to create economically dynamic, healthy and secure communities. Our works focus on building resilience and enable economic growth, improve opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improved governance and conflict management. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About USAID Project:
Mercy Corps is implementing the USAID-funded five year program on Better Outcomes for Children and Youth in Eastern and Northern Uganda whose program goal is to improve the wellbeing of children and youth orphaned by HIV and other adversities in Uganda. It mainly focuses on orphaned and vulnerable children, youth and their caregivers to have improved access and utilization of health, nutrition, education, and psychosocial wellbeing and reducing abuse, exploitation and neglect. The sector priorities include meeting immediate economic needs of the most vulnerable target groups though temporary interventions to uplift and integrate them in to market systems; increased savings and access to credit opportunities; increased opportunities for income growth and building assets; and better access to group based education and support programming.
Job Summary: The Economic Strengthening Officer will responsible for the implementation of the economic empowerment component of the program in northern Uganda. The incumbent will be responsible for activity planning and implementation to improve the economic conditions of target groups through improved access and utilization of services and products and better access to markets. Reporting to the Economic Strengthening Technical Lead, the Officer will work with a consortium of agencies under the prime lead of World Education.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· With guidance from the technical lead, the officer will be responsible for program planning and implementation in the areas of economic strengthening.
· Work in liaison with other component field teams in the consortium to ensure integrated approach to program implementation
· Build and maintain productive working relationships with local government officials and line departments, soliciting their participation in all activities where appropriate.
· Responsible for the day to day implementation of activities at field level.
· Ensure proper logistics, administration, human resources and transport needs of the program are conducted within Mercy Corps policy and with the maximum benefit to the program.
· Work with the economic strengthening team for the development of and continual revision of a dynamic, program-wide monitoring and evaluation system linked to program strategies, indicators, and information management tools, which supports program management, accountability and learning.
· Continual gathering and sharing of data specific to the sector
· Prepare and submit written reports on the program capturing impacts related to all activities.
· Ensure establishment and maintenance of relationships with communities, consortium partners and other CSOs in target operation areas.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Economic Strengthening Officer job opportunity should a Bachelor’s degree, preferably graduate level, in economics development, development studies, social sciences or social work, or a closely related field is required.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in economic strengthening initiatives that target vulnerable communities mainly orphan and vulnerable children and households.
· Previous exposure and experience in working with private sector partners
· Solid experience on market based solutions to addressing poverty
· Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills in English are also required.
· Keen attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
· Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of office applications.
· Ability to focus on day-to-day tasks at hand while also working towards longer-term objectives with an understanding that these will change continuously;
· Proven ability and curiosity to work effectively with local government, civil society and community based organizations.
· Solid background in economic and market development.
· Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with program target groups and partners.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 17th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline