Job Title: Learning and Communications Specialist
Organization: Mercy Corps
Project Name: USAID PEACE III Project
Duty Station: Uganda
Mercy Corps is an International non-profit organization that has been operating in Uganda since 2006 and works to catalyze change makers within the Ugandan private sector, civil society and government to create economically dynamic, healthy and secure communities. Our works focus on building resilience and enable economic growth, improve opportunities to attain better health and nutrition, and improved governance and conflict management. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
About USAID PEACE III Project:
PEACE III, a 5 year USAID funded Program, implemented by Pact Kenya and Mercy Corps is designed to strengthen cross border Conflict Management in the Horn of Africa. It aims at strengthening horizontal and vertical linkages within and between local, national, and regional conflict management actors—working with and through local implementing partners to build the capacity of community peace leaders and organizations. PEACE III operates in 5 countries namely Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia and South Sudan in what is known as Karamoja and Somali Clusters. In Uganda, PEACE III is implemented in Karamoja region with an operational office in Moroto.
Job Summary: The Learning and Communications Specialist is a key position in Program quality assurance, accountability, documentation and learning. The position will support program design, implementation and utilization of information collected at different stages. Under the direction of the Program Director for the Karamoja Cluster (Uganda, South Sudan, Kenya and Ethiopia), the position holder will be responsible for documentation, learning and communication. The incumbent will be responsible for documenting and cataloging stories/quotes for project descriptions and qualitative data use that feed into needs of Mercy Corps, its partners and donor reporting requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Thought Leadership and Influence:
· Focus on key learnings in: conflict management, peacebuilding through formal and informal structures; private sector engagement; social impact; and other areas of interest to PEACE III project.
· Supplement program learning agendas by developing compelling thought leadership pieces, sharing of lessons learned, new innovations and best practices/case studies, both for external and internal use.
· Capture and write up stories from the field to articulate conflict and market system development and/or related sectors in action and ‘how’ and ‘why’ of project interactions with peace building and governance actors that can be shared internally and externally.
· Actively engage and collaborate with a range of partners and stakeholders to stimulate joint inquiry, analysis and reflection that lead to shared learning and collective action.
Learning and Knowledge Management:
· Offer support in developing revamped internal document management systems and information flows, including the Mercy Corps’ shared document drive and others that aligns with the implementing partner’s information management.
· Develop and manage streamlined knowledge management system to efficiently manage the wealth of information produced by PEACE III partners and relevant external stakeholders and ensure the strategic use of this information to catalyze learning and evidence-based decision-making across the agency
· Offer support in data collection, analysis, organization and presentation;
· Actively participate in assessments, evaluations and monitoring surveys. This will entail trainings and management of data collectors, report writing and facilitating results discussion.
· Visit sites and partners to collect supplementary data and conduct qualitative research both independently and in teams.
· Establish database for partners working with the program and work closely with the program team to monitor progress.
· Maintain an active advisory role with each program team, train and help guide them towards robust and relevant data collection.
· Support the implementation of the Institutional strengthening plans with the PEACE III partners.
· Take lead in the implementation of PEACE III communication strategy;
· Provide oversight to program publications and visual outputs such as presentations so they are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately
· Take high quality outcome communicating program photographs.
· Blogging and or compiling other written releases or reports as required.
· Take lead in the documentation of case studies, success stories, lessons learnt and other qualitative information for periodic communication.
· Design and update program communication materials and develop compelling thought leadership pieces, new innovations and best practices, and similar communication products tailored for a specific audience.
· Carry out documenting and recording beneficiary interviews and sharing all learnings from the program.
· Work closely with program team members to develop and maintain an excellent communication, and facilitate periodic reflection and analysis of program monitoring information that feeds into programming and learning.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Learning and Communications Specialist job opportunity should a bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, Information Science, Economics, or any relevant field
· A minimum of four years of program management and communications experience
· Excellent writing and analytical skills
· Previous experience with Peace building and conflict management program
· Broad knowledge of quantitative and qualitative data collection, reporting techniques.
· Excellent skills in Microsoft Office, adobe publisher or similar publishing software.
· Fluent in both spoken and written English.
· Knowledge of Karamoja cluster is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All prospective Ugandans who wish to join Mercy Corps are encouraged to send their applications via email including a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates to email@example.com addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Kampala Head Office on 4th Floor Embassy Plaza, Plot 1188-1190 Ggaba Road.
Deadline: 4th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline