Job Title: Procurement Associate
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Procurement Analyst
Job Opening Number: 6758
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Procurement Analyst, the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
· Ensures full compliance of procurement activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
· Ensures compliance to CO Procurement business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement and Logistics, control of the workflows in the Procurement Unit.
· Elaboration of proposals and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies in consultation with office management.
· Provision of researched information for formulation and implementation of contract strategy and strategic procurement in the CO including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, e-procurement introduction.
· Organizes procurement processes for CO, NEX/DEX projects and at the request of other Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
· In charge of the preparation of procurement plans for the office and projects and their implementation monitoring.
· Organization of procurement processes including preparation and conduct of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulations.
· Responsible for the preparation of Purchase Orders (PO) and contracts in and outside Atlas, preparation of Recurring Purchase orders for contracting of services, vendors’ creation in Atlas. Buyers profile in Atlas.
· Review of procurement processes conducted by projects; submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
· Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that POs are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
· Presentation of researched information on procurement in the CO.
· Preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the procurement services provided by UNDP to other Agencies.
· Organization of joint procurement processes for the UN Agencies in line with the UN reform.
· Ensures implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools
· Development and update of the rosters of suppliers, implementation of supplier selection and evaluation
· Preparation of inventory reports in collaboration with the Assets focal point.
· Implementation of Inventory and physical verification control in the CO and projects.
· Organization of travel including purchase of tickets, DSA calculation, PO preparation; arrangement of shipments; vehicle maintenance; conference facilities arrangements in collaboration with the Assistant Administrative in charge of travels.
· Timely conducted DSA, Travel Agencies, vehicle maintenance, hotel and conference facilities surveys in collaboration with the Administrative Associate.
· Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on the organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
· Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
· Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD);
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
· Significantly contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
· Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
· Actively promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNDP Procurement Associate career job should have completed Secondary Education with specialized training in procurement. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
· Certificate or diploma in procurement and /or supply chain from, a renowned institution (e.g. CIPS, ISM, etc.,) would be advantageous.
· At least seven years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required at the national or international level.
· Previous experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web based management systems.
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
· Integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of specialty and ability to apply good judgment; high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures in a politically sensitive environment, while exercising discretion, impartiality and neutrality; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented.
· Accountability: mature and responsible; ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations.
· Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
· Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
· Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working
· Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards the UN core values
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 21st November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline