Job Title: Logistics Associate
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Uganda
Position Grade: G6
Reports to: Head of Field Office
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency against world hunger. It is the largest and longest serving humanitarian agency in Uganda. Currently WFP focuses on three priority areas namely: Emergency Humanitarian Action (EHA); Food & Nutrition Security (FNS); and Agriculture & Market Support (AMS). WFP has operations in various parts of the Country.
Job Summary: The Logistics Associate will demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services. The incumbent will provide specialized support functions and/or supervise staff performing standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer specialized support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
· The jobholder will coordinate requisitioning and ensure timely delivery of commodities and supplies to authorised partners and destinations.
· Manage logistics vendors’ contracting activities including performance monitoring and measurement.
· Support gathering market intelligence, vendor assessments (e.g. transporters, retailers) to support vendor selection process.
· Identify, resolve and/or provide recommendations on specialised queries/requests for support, using initiative and following standard processes, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of enquiries with excellent client service mind-set.
· Prepare, monitor and revise budget for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards.
· Regularly monitor inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source to beneficiary.
· Support oversight for commodity accounting data quality and integrity.
· Keenly analyse operational pipeline and contribute to assessments and operational planning for all delivery modalities, to ensure that supply chain requirements are taken into consideration.
· . Manage documentation processing for execution of logistics operations (e.g. customs clearance, invoice verification), take appropriate actions to resolve operational issues escalating complex issues to the supervisor.
· Carry out research, collect data and conduct analysis, produce reports (e.g. CCTI, SPRs, financial closure, physical inventory, transport performance) and ensure information accuracy in corporate systems to enable informed decision-making.
· Work closely with internal and external stakeholders to support logistics operations management and contribute to effective service delivery.
· Supervise the work of support staff, providing practical advice and guidance, to ensure individual and team objectives are delivered to agreed standards and deadlines for all assistance modalities.
· Support logistics emergency preparedness and response activities including Logistics Capacity Assessment and Contingency Plan update, to support WFP’s response in emergencies.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the United Nations UN World Food Programme (WFP) Logistics Associate job opportunity should hold a University degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Statistics, Logistics or any other related field attained from a recognized institution;
· A minimum of five (5) years of postgraduate professional experience in one or more of the transportation and ancillary sectors: port operations, shipping, clearing and forwarding, air operations, large scale road/rail transport and distribution management gained from a reputable organization;
· Prior exposure and experience maintaining corporate systems and running queries on ongoing shipments, pipeline information, insurance claims, and food stock.
· Past experience in administering third party service providers’ contracts.
· Previous exposure and experience in compiling contract documentation.
· Experience in contract execution.
· Previous experience in budget monitoring and reporting.
· Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
· Supply Chain Management and Optimization: Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.
· Planning, Project & Resource Management: Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.
· Information Management & Reporting: Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.
· Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution: Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.
· Warehouse and Inventory Management: The incumbent demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.
· Technical Assistance and Coordination: Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.
· Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
· Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
· Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
· Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
· Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
· Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
· Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
· Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
· Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
· Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
· Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
· Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
· Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
· Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
· Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
· Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
How to Apply:
All candidates who desire to join the United Nations World Food Programme are encouraged to submit their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 1st December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline