Job Title: Junior Data Visualization Engineer
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Officer - Data Science
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
About Global Pulse:
Global Pulse is an innovation initiative of the United Nations Secretary-General on Big Data. Its vision is a future in which big data is harnessed safely and responsibly as a public good. Its mission is to accelerate discovery, development and scaled adoption of big data innovation for sustainable development and humanitarian action. Global Pulse is building a catalytic network of in-country innovation centers, which will test new tools, data and analysis, share what lessons with the global community, mainstream successful approaches for real-time impact monitoring into policymaking. The first Lab has been established in New York (Pulse Lab New York) followed by Jakarta, Indonesia and Kampala, Uganda. Pulse Lab Kampala is an inter-agency initiative of the United Nations under the leadership of the UN Resident Coordinator in Uganda. The first of its kind in Africa, it brings together researchers from Government, the UN, non-governmental organizations and private sector to explore the utility of new sources of digital “Big Data” (such as social media, mobile data, online information) and real-time analysis techniques for sustainable development and humanitarian assistance.
Job Summary: The Junior Data Visualization Engineer will offer support in the development of data visualization from Big Data sources (such us online media, social networks, imagery, geospatial data, population mobility, transaction records, etc.).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist with the development of Interactive visualizations and dashboards that synthesize large amounts of information obtained from data science analysis techniques
· Support the production of web applications defined to showcase the analysis results of Pulse Lab Kampala
· Provide inputs for the development of data visualization prototypes to help the overall understanding of data sets
· Assist in the production of static and dynamic visual representations;
· Assist in production of data presentation tools
· Support in the design and development of user interfaces for data applications
· Support the technical team on the production of visuals representing data extracted from digital and big data sources
· Offer support in the drafting of wire frames for visualizations of a combination of data sets
· To provide support to the data engineering team with emergency for simple trouble shooting
· Assist in exploring new data sets for new data innovation projects at the lab
· Support preparing materials for capacity building and knowledge dissemination by the Lab with partners
· Actively participates in brainstorming sessions in the Lab to define activities under Track 1 and track 2
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP Junior Data Visualization Engineer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
· Previous experience with data visualization and data engineering
· Prior exposure and experience in using visualization libraries and software like D3.js, Crossfilter/dc.js, Leaflet.js, CartoDB or Mapbox or similar software is required;
· Experience with SQL databases (like PostgreSQL, MySQL), and NoSQL databases (like MongoDB and firebase)
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN's values and ethical standards
· Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UN
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism
· Demonstrates and promotes the values of the UN in actions and decisions and acts in accordance with the standard of conduct for international civil servants.
· Shows willingness to work without bias with all persons regardless of gender, nationality, religion or culture
· Contributes effectively to team-based activities, working collaboratively and sharing information openly; works effectively with colleagues inside the UN as well as its partners and other stakeholders to pursue common goals
· Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicating effectively
· Remains calm, composed and patient when facing conflict, manages conflict productively, focusing on mutually acceptable solutions
· Takes initiative and seeks opportunities to initiate action
· Actively produces and disseminates new knowledge; creates/contributes to mechanisms to collect and share knowledge
· Actively seeks learning opportunities; demonstrates commitment to ongoing professional development
· Proposes innovative ideas and new solutions to work
· Familiarity with statistical programming and discrete mathematics;
· Comfortable working with diverse programming languages, design patterns, frameworks, libraries and platforms;
· Independent and driven, and able to manage and lead without close supervision;
· Flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a start-up environment;
· Ability to work directly with internal and external clients to define requirements for analysis and reporting;
· Excellent communication skills.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 1st December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline