Job Title: UN Clinic Nurse
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: UN Medical Physician
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nation’s global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The UN Clinic Nurse performs the functions under the immediate supervision of the UN Medical Physician with regards to technical matters only and the overall supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator for all administrative matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Clinical Technical Duties
· Attend the UN Clinic on a full time basis;
· Assist the UN Physician in the performance of his/her duties
· The Nurse responds to emergency calls during outside office hours when necessary and assists Medical Doctors in providing adequate care;
· Give first-aid and advice to the staff and their recognised dependents;
· Ensures effective liaison between patient and private doctor, paramedics, family members, and colleagues as appropriate;
· Documents case findings.
· Performs diagnostic and screening tests such as: ECG, x-rays, laboratory (blood and urine), and other tests as required.
· Carries out clinical assessment of patients visiting the walk-in clinic;
· Facilitates referral to the UN Medical Doctor or to an outside physician, as required.
· Ensures preparedness of staff travelling on missions or reassignments, including administration of appropriate vaccine, instructions on malaria prophylaxis and other travel-related ailments.
· Instructs on the content and potential uses of the travel kit.
· Assists in providing health education and health promotion programs;
· Actively participates in work environment assessment, e.g. office ergonomics, and addresses other occupational health issues.
· Coordinates medical evacuation and cooperates with Medical Services Division in N.Y. and the receiving facilities in home countries;
· Assists in providing medical support during evacuation and repatriation;
· Guides evacuees on the requirements for evacuation and/or escorts patients if needed;
· Concludes or closes medical evacuation files to enable staff members to submit claims;
· Assist in arrangements for the deceased;
· The incumbent designs and implements outreach programs for mission personnel;
· Plans and organizes preventive and promotes medical fairs;
· Perform medical briefing for incoming staff and conduct first aid training;
· Assess needs of clients visiting the walk-in clinic, provides care/advice (e.g., the benefits of preventive medicine etc.) accordingly and facilitates referral to the UN Medical Physician or to an outside physician, as indicated;
· Administer minor “outpatient” treatment and immunization requirements;
· Offer support in maintaining records of patients' medical data including consultations and treatment;
· Maintain strict confidentiality with regards to patient’s medical records; patient management and treatment.
· Perform medication, injection, dressing, stitching, foreign body extraction and so on as needed;
· Performs other related duties as required
· Maintain the UN Clinic in good order and keep the inventory of medical supplies and equipment up-to-date and be prepared for disaster;
· Work in liaison with the UN Medical Physician, maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referral and treatment;
· Coordinate and supervise the work of other UN Dispensary personnel i.e. Ambulance Driver and Cleaner;
· Check equipment and supplies on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis and maintain them in working order;
· Ensures that medical instruments are properly sterilized and maintains hygiene and cleanliness of the dispensary;
· Through a monthly check, ensures that medical instruments and equipment in the UN ambulance are maintained in a working order, and replaced after use;
· Enter medical data of patients into register, patient's file, and electronic databases;
· Schedule consultations with the UN Physician for eligible staff and dependents;
· Maintain a 24-hour roster of available specialists for referrals and treatment when necessary;
· Ensure a proper and safe disposal of hazardous material and medical waste in close coordination with the Medical Physician, Lab technicians , and Pharmacists
· Identifies and plans clinics’ material, supplies and equipment requirements and raises requisitions accordingly;
· Works closely with the Procurement Section and Supply Section to establish essential contracts for the mission;
· Prepares logistic plans to support field satellite clinics, and follows up on implementation;
· Draws and implements duty roster for clinic personnel;
· Maintains and medical inventory and supplies and distributes medical supplies to outstations;
· Arranges medical appointments and examinations to mission personnel;
· Updates the monthly medical reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal applicant for the United Nations UNDP UN Clinic Nurse job placement should be a Registered Professional Nurse with a Diploma in Nursing or Accredited Baccalaureate Nursing Programme.
· Possession of certificates in ECG, CPR or Basic Life Support and ACLS or equivalent emergency medical care is an asset.
· Recognized additional training in primary health care and midwifery is desirable.
· Additional HIV / AIDS Management Training is desirable.
· National Registration and License is a requirement.
· At least five years of continuous clinical experience in nursing preferably in a multicultural environment.
· Intensive care and health administration.
· Supervisory experience in a UN Field operation is an asset.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of relevant UN administrative policies and procedures is desirable.
· Previous experience in Trauma and Emergency care is desirable.
· Computer literacy i.e. proficiency in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is desirable.
· Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is an advantage.
· Professionalism: Knowledge and experience in Clinical/occupational nursing.
· Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Ability to establish priorities and to plan and coordinate own work plan; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources to completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
· Commitment to continuous learning: Initiative and willingness to keep abreast with new skills in the nursing field.
· Technology Awareness: Proficiency in relevant medical software packages.
· Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
· Communication: Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively orally.
· Client Orientation: Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion. Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
· Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients. Responds to client needs promptly.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 1st December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline