Job Title: Auditor
Organization: United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 16-Audit-OIOS-69065-R-Entebbe (M)
Report to: Chief of Service of IAD
The Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) was established in July 1994 as an operationally independent office that assists the Secretary-General in fulfilling his internal oversight responsibilities in respect of the resources and staff of the Organization through monitoring, internal audit, inspection, evaluation and investigation. The Office has the authority to initiate, carry out and report on any action it considers necessary to fulfill its responsibilities with regard to its oversight functions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Auditor will be responsible for the following duties:
· Leads audits/special reviews with respect to large and complex operations. Identifies and allocates tasks, coordinates/monitors work, controls audit/assignment resources, consolidates results, etc.
· The Audit prepares risk-based audits/reviews. Plans/programmes in accordance with OIOS standards.
· Supervises and coaches staff throughout the audit/review with the view to ensuring conformity with OIOS standards in all phases of the audit process.
· The incumbent empowers and challenges more junior staff to actively participate in the management of the audit/review.
· Prepares working papers for review by Senior Auditor/Section Chief or the Chief of Service.
· Documents, evaluates, and test systems and controls to determine their adequacy and effectiveness, ensuring (i) compliance with policies and procedures, (ii) accomplishment of management's objectives, (iii) reliability and integrity of information, (iv) economical use of resources, and (v) safeguarding of assets.
· Develops and discusses findings, agrees on recommendations and timelines for corrective action with responsible officer of operations audited, and monitors the implementation status of agreed upon recommendations.
· Drafts audit/assignment reports for Organization-wide consumption, including senior management and the General Assembly.
· Prepares presentations using available technology tools (e.g. PowerPoint).
· Makes presentations of audit results to senior management of IAD and senior management of the operations audited.
· Appraises adequacy of follow-up action taken on audit findings and recommendations.
· Maintains and updates audit programs.
· Identifies training needs, develops training programs and materials, and conducts workshops with respect to auditing approaches and techniques.
· Evaluates staff performance; performs management review of work performed by assistant auditors, prior to Senior Auditor/Section Chief's review.
· Performs other related duties as determined by the Senior Auditor/Section Chief or Chief of Service.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations OIOS Auditor career opportunity should hold an advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in business administration, finance, accounting, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or equivalent is desirable.
· At least seven years of progressively responsible professional experience in audit, finance, accounting, administration, statistics, computer science, or a related area is required.
· Experience in public sector auditing is desirable.
· Languages: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
· Professionalism: Demonstrates in-depth technical knowledge and hands-on experience in the field of auditing; demonstrates professional competence and has knowledge of auditing standards and practices, risk assessment, and applicable financial rules and procedures; identifies issues, formulates opinions, and presents conclusions and recommendations; has the ability to defend and explain difficult issues and positions to staff, including senior officials; establishes and maintains effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment; has knowledge of specialized IT audit applications, such as IDEA, ACL, and TeamMate; shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
· Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others, and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
· Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 17th December, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline