Job Title: Training Officer
Organisation: United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO)
Vacancy Code: 16-Human Resources-DPKO-69743-J-Entebbe (X)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of the Integrated Training Service
The Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) is dedicated to assisting the Member States and the Secretary-General in their efforts to maintain international peace and security. DPKO provides political and executive direction to UN Peacekeeping operations around the world and maintains contact with the Security Council, troop and financial contributors, and parties to the conflict in the implementation of Security Council mandates. The Department works to integrate the efforts of UN, governmental and non-governmental entities in the context of peacekeeping operations. DPKO also provides guidance and support on military, police, mine action and other relevant issues to other UN political and peacebuilding missions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will manage and coordinate the activities of the centre in accordance with training priorities and timelines provided by the Integrated Training Service, the Office of Military Affairs and the Police Division;
· The jobholder will coordinate the preparation and implementation of the training centre budget in accordance with the training plan, provide oversight and ensure that resources are allocated appropriately so that training is cost-effective and has the maximum operational impact;
· Manage and coordinate the work of all personnel including United Nations civilians (Professional and General Service staff), military and police training officers, as well as Member State training personnel who may from time to time work in the centre, to ensure that training and development activities are implemented in accordance with the Training of Trainers’ centre plan and established standards;
· Develop and implement an evaluation programme to enable the centre to report its training performance against benchmarks;
· Collaborate with other Entebbe Support Base and Regional Service Centre Entebbe functions to ensure that cross cutting issues are incorporated into the design and development of training programmes;
· Coordinate monitoring and evaluation of training programmes to ensure application and transfer of learning;
· The jobholder will oversee performance and institute programmes to build the capacity of personnel within the centre to ensure that training programmes are delivered in accordance with standards;
· The incumbent will manage the allocation and utilization of resources for the centre including managing the activities of third parties and vendors providing support to the execution of the work of the centre;
· Coordinate with Member States to ensure the timely selection of training participants as well as Member State trainers who may be assigned from time to time at the centre;
· Ensure the establishment and maintenance of a database to track course participants, performance and expenditure to enable timely reporting to donors at agreed periods and, as requested;
· Manage changes to the scope, schedule and costs of the centre using appropriate verification techniques and perform risk management to minimize risks;
· Regularly monitor project implementation at all stages, measure training project performance using appropriate tools and techniques and escalate implementation difficulties and recommended remedial actions to stakeholders, as needed;
· Create and maintain comprehensive training project documentation, prepare and review training project reports for the use of stakeholders at agreed periods and, as requested;
· Perform any other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations DPKO Training Officer job placement should hold an advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in training, management, business administration, economics, international relations or related areas such as education or social sciences is required. A first-level university degree in any of these fields, in combination with two additional years of qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in the management of programmes for training design or delivery is required. At least one year's experience in a UN multi-dimensional peacekeeping mission in either a military or police capacity is required. Supervisory experience of a small/mid size team is desirable. Experience in starting up a training institution is desired.
· Previous exposure and experience in designing or delivering courses for mid-level military and police officers is desired.
· Languages: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage
· Shows pride in work and in achievements
· Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter
· Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results
· Motivated by professional rather than personal concerns
· Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges
· Remains calm in stressful situations
Planning & Organizing:
· Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
· Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
· Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work
· Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
· Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
· Uses time efficiently
Commitment to Continuous Learning:
· Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession
· Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally
· Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates
· Shows willingness to learn from others
· Seeks feedback to learn and improve
· Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks.
· Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s goals.
· Generates and communicates broad and compelling organizational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction
· Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities
How to Apply:
If interested in joining the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) in the aforementioned capacity, please click on link below to visit website and create profile or express interest if you already have a profile on the UN system
Deadline: 30th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline