Job Title: Systems Administrator Officer
Organisation: Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MOFPED)
Project Name: The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IPPS Project Manager
The Government of Uganda is implementing the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III) with the primary purpose to strengthen Public Financial Management (PFM) at all levels of government and ensure efficient, effective and accountable use of public resources as a basis for improved service delivery. The overall objective of FINMAP is derived from the GoU PFM reform strategy for the period from July 2014 to June 2018, launched in August 2014. In line with the strategy, FINMAP aims to encourage effective service delivery through reinforcing mechanisms for budget credibility, compliance and control; and to improve financial management practices through implementation of automated financial management systems.
The Integrated Personnel and Payroll System (IPPS) is a computer based Human Resource Management Information System for Government being implemented by Ministry of Public Service (MoPS). The IPPS is responsible for the processing of the Government of Uganda (GoU) Gratuity, monthly Pension and Salary Payrolls and is one of the critical Public Financial Management (PFM) systems aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness in Human Resource Management processes and governance in the Public Service. The IPPS comprises of Human Resource Management functions from Recruitment to Exit. IPPS is one of the Public Financial Management (PFM) reform programs supported by the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAPIII) under Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development.
Job Summary: The System Administrator Officer will be responsible for the administration and management of the IPPS Systems including configuring and maintaining any Systems hardware and software. This will include Servers, Storage, Desktops and other systems. They will also work with the IPPS project implementation team for the successful implementation of the IPPS.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer technical and functional support to the decentralization of salary payments
· Provide technical and functional support to the operationalization of the IPPS interface to other GoU systems.
· Provide technical support resource for testing IPPS application revision upgrades especially for IPPS HR modules rollout for full functionality and the operationalization of the self-service portal.
· Offer technical support to the IPPS payroll processing based on a time bound work plans and program schedules to effect salary payments in time.
· Provide technical and functional support during IPPS Pensions data migration for an accurate and effective system.
· Prepare various reports by querying from database as per need from IPPS and EDMS databases.
· Working with help desk to ensure that user queries are resolved in the shortest time possible.
· Support the project manager in preparation of documents, and follow up on timelines and deliverables.
· Provide support for further site rollout and training of the IPPS and provide user assessment reports for the training needs team.
· Be part of the IPPS team responsible for installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software.
· Actively participate in the installation of servers and configuration of hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with IPPS standards and operational requirements.
· Implement and maintain IPPS systems installation, configuration and operational procedures and standards.
· Carry out daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, storage, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs.
· Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
· Perform backup operations and ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and the media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
· Implement creation, changing, and deletion of systems user accounts as per the approved requests.
· Implement repair and recovery of IPPS from hardware or software failures.
· Apply Operating Systems patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities and services as necessary.
· Perform systems performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required, Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required and carry out periodic performance reporting to support systems resources planning.
· Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
· Supervise the junior staff by defining and establishing schedules, setting priorities, providing support/direction and dealing with technical, functional and administrative issues as needed.
· Will supervise and train other officers on IPPS.
· Perform other System administration related functions that may be assigned.
Key Performance Indicators:
· Fully functioning IPPS-IFMS Interface (and other GoU systems)
· Fully functioning systems (hardware and software) environment supporting the objectives of the IPPS.
· Proper documentation and operational manuals for the IPPS Systems hardware and software.
· IPPS systems performance reports (Monthly).
· IPPS disaster recovery and business continuity procedures.
· Training, capacity building and knowledge transfer.
· IPPS System Administration Reports (Quarterly).
· Annual performance reports
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in an IT/Engineering related discipline such as Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics and Electrical Engineering.
· Specialized ICT Systems Administration training and qualifications/certification in common
· At least three years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities as specified is essential.
· Previous experience in systems administration in a data center or server farm environment, including maintenance of servers, storage systems, desktop computers and applications/database performance tuning is highly desirable.
· Systems Administration skills e.g. LINUX, Storage Works, MCSE, Windows, MCSA is a must.
· Knowledge in web application servers, most especially Tomcat is highly desirable.
· Working knowledge in Oracle database is highly desirable
· Knowledge in LINUX operating system is highly desirable
· Knowledge in performance monitoring tools and is highly desirable
· Ability to perform database and application performance tuning
· Ability to implement and troubleshoot hardware and software problems.
· Knowledge of computer hardware, storage systems and software.
· Knowledge of network security methods and techniques.
· Ability to install, maintain, modify, and upgrade hardware and software.
· Good technical writing skills.
· Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
· Ability to operate on a scheduled 24-hour on-call basis.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Output-oriented work habits.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications, updated CVs and copies of academic certificates should be addressed and submitted to the address below. Envelopes should have clear reference to the job applied for. Send to:
The Programme Coordinator,
The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III),
Ministry of Finance, Planning & Economic Development Finance Building; 3rd Floor, Room 3.4 Plot 2/12 Apollo Kaggwa Road P 0 Box 8147, Kampala. Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 9th December 2016 by 17:00hrs
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline