Organisation: World Vision International
Reports to: Community Mobilization & Accountability Advisor
Duty Station: Mbale, Uganda
World Vision Uganda is a Christian Relief, Development and Advocacy Non-Government Organization dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in over 41 districts in Uganda. World Vision is committed to the protection of children and we will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible. “Our Vision for every child, Life in all its fullness. Our prayer for every Heart, the will to make it so.”
About USAID Project:
World Vision is implementing a five-year, USAID program which is expected to support the delivery of integrated services and health system strengthening in 23 districts in Eastern Uganda with an estimated total population of 5.3 million people. Key aims of the Project include increased availability of health services, increased accessibility to health services, improved quality of health services, enhanced enabling environment for health care delivery and increased health seeking behavior and practices supported by district-led health system strengthening interventions.
Job Summary: The Community Mobilization & Social Accountability Mentor will manage the implementation of the community mobilization and social accountability activities within the 23 districts. Each CM & SA mentor will support an average of 2 – 3 districts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer technical and program assistance in the areas of strengthening community engagement and mobilization in the integrated health project activities including identifying and working with community resources persons, community leaders, CBOs, CSOs, PLHIV and other community groups.
· Take lead in the formation and functionality of community peer groups that will contribute to increased demand, uptake and utilization of the integrated health services in the districts of support.
· Offer technical guidance in the development and implementation of activities that facilitate linkages and referrals linkage between and within communities and health facilities.
· Work in liaison with District Health Educators and Community Development Offices to strengthen community based structures that will create demand for HIV/AIDS care, treatment, Nutrition, VMMC, MNCH, Malaria and PMTCT and TB/HIV services
· Strengthen the performance management and capacity building mechanism for community resource persons and peer group structure that the project engages to implement the integrated project
· Organize and facilitate periodic reviews meetings of community HIV/AIDS, MNCH/SRH/FP, Malaria and Nutrition activities at the health center level, as well as linkages to care, with the involvement of VHTs, community representatives, health center staff and members of the DHMT.
· Oversee the development of district work plans and supervisory support for the development and implementation of community action plans for the project.
· Mentor and coach community leaders/peer facilitates and other community resource people in the implementation of their advocacy role in the available health services at health facilities.
· Build the capacity of project actors at community and district levels to obtain, analyze and use information, and advocate for health services
· Provide technical assistance to target groups to mobilize other community members to increase their demand for health services
· Offer support the development of data collection systems and tools for the peer and community group activities.
· Prepare and submit weekly, monthly and quarterly reports on the activity implementation progress.
· Actively contribute to identification and documentation of promising practices and success stories that will contribute to the body of knowledge in the area of provision of integrated health services at the community level and strengthening community engagement
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The prospective World Vision Community Mobilization & Social Accountability Mentor employee should hold a Bachelor’s degree in community development, health communication, community health, social sciences or related studies.
· Prior experience in similar postings (health promotion, community awareness, health advocacy, etc.).
· Broad background in working with issues related to community based HIV/TB, RMNCAH, Malaria and Nutrition services will be an added advantage.
· Previous exposure and experience in building capacity at individual and organizational levels; skills in at least two or more of the following technical areas: a) strengthening service delivery programs at the community level, b) strengthening community-facility linkages, psychosocial support, and c) integrating health service delivery into community structures.
· Prior exposure and experience in formation and supporting functionality of community support/peer groups.
· Broad knowledge of community structures and cultural practices in Eastern Uganda is essential.
· Previous USAID programming experience will be an added advantage.
· Essential written and verbal competencies in English. Local language skills a definite advantage but not mandatory.
· Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Internet, Powerpoint.
NB: This vacancy is open to Ugandan nationals only.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by visiting World Vision International’s e-recruitment jobs portal at the web link below.
Please follow instructions on How to Create Account and Profile at World Vision’s e-recruitment portal. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 20th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline