Job Title: Senior Project Officer
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Chief of Party
Job ID: 13-9301
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50,countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
Job Summary: The Senior Project Officer II will work in close collaboration with USAID, the Ministry of Health, the National Medical Stores, National Aids Control Program, Pharmacy Department, District management, Medicines Management Supervisors (MMSs) and other key players strengthening the national HIV/ AIDS systems for commodities management to ensure availability, quality, accountability, and transparency in supply management system for HIV/AIDS commodities with focus at facility level. The incumbent will ensure coordination and integration with other Uganda Health Supply Chain (UHSC) and Ministry of Health activities and strategies. S/he leads the development of tasks and activities; coordinates the expanded health systems strengthening work with other UHSC departments; and ensure that the project is adequately resourced to implement and manage planned operations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Project Management and Leadership:
· Develop, manage, coordinate and implement the UHSC strategic plan to ensure implementation of the USAID/PEPFAR 90-90-90 plan to implement test and treat strategy in Uganda in close collaboration with partners.
· Develop innovative methods to achieve, capture and demonstrate project impact through evidence and project data.
· The jobholder coordinates and organize regular meetings with UHSC, USAID/PEPFAR, Ministry of Health in particular AIDS Control Program and the Pharmacy Department, central warehouses and other related stakeholders to ensure collaboration, joint target setting and timely implementation and tracking of activities
· Writes quarterly progress reports, discuss and advise on project expansion and eventually close-out.
· Identifies project needs and leads the process of acquiring necessary resources, employment of technical assistance, providing on-going mentoring and coaching; managing all personnel issues and liaising with HR when needed to ensure timely implementation of agreed activities.
· Develop a detailed and approved work and implementation plan within the first 30 days that covers the three result areas for the targeted districts and facilities: 1. logistic management and availability, 2. Quality and improved storage, 3. Accountability, transparency and improved information management systems.
· The incumbent will establish regular coordination and collaboration meetings
· Set-up monitoring and evaluation system to track implementation and achievements of targets and goals including conducting quarterly and bi-annual performance reviews
· With assistance from the existing UHSC teams establish, capacitate and equip a UHSC field office with better reach to the northern districts.
· Actively participate in UHSC management meetings and in close collaboration with the UHSC district and IT staff, undertake regular field trip and planning meetings to ensure system change and project implementation
· Works closely with UHSC Finance Manager and to ensure a healthy burn rate for the project.
· Manage and monitor execution of UHSC strategic plans that address the 90-90-90 priorities for test and treat strategy to achieve set and agreed targets and outcomes.
· Develop, implement, monitor and report on performance on the annual work plan(s) every six-month.
· Develop and report on annual performance management plan (PMP), that detail indicators and expected outcomes for each of the three result areas to promote evidence-based interventions.
· Assess programmatic risks on a quarterly basis and implement appropriate risk management/mitigation strategies.
Key Performance Indicators:
· Supported health facilities in medicines management and maintaining sufficient stocks of HIV/AIDS commodities meeting 90-90-90 scale up needs
· Establish a well functioning regional UHSC/Project office to support the northern regional districts
· Strengthened medicines management (quantification, stock management, storage, prescribing and dispensing capacity) focusing on the 100 sites through SPARS and recruitment of 75 new MMS trained as MMS, PFM, SS and all MMS's in HIV/AIDS commodities management
· The stores of the 100 facility will be rehabilitated to meet good pharmacy practice standards including shelving and where needed expansion or building of new warehouses (Warehouse in a box).
· Strengthening information system management and data use for commodities incl HIV/AIDS commodities through SPARS reporting, warehouse logistics and patient management (RxSolution and Open-MRS) though hard- and soft-ware procurement, installation, training and support set up to 100 sites and 400 health workers.
· Establish appropriate M&E and reporting systems focused on medicines management, availability, quality, use related to the HIV/AIDS commodities meeting 90-90-90 scale up.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Management Sciences for Health Senior Project Officer job placement should hold a Master’s Degree in pharmacy, public health, international health, business administrations, project management, logistics, supply chain management, or a related field. Equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of Master’s Degree.
· At least ten years of relevant management and leadership skills in the area of supply chain and system strengthening with a minimum of seven years progressively responsible project management experience including capacity building, work planning, budgeting, program monitoring and reporting.
· Demonstrated strategic planning and visioning skills.
· Good coordination, collaboration and communication skills
· Broad knowledge of the Ugandan health system, HIV/AIDS, SPARS strategy, RxSolution and open MRS and information management systems an advantage.
· Familiarity with USG procurement rules and regulations is a plus.
· Previous exposure and experience working with international donor agencies, particularly USAID.
· Ability to work comfortably with Microsoft Office software, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
· Must demonstrate personal attributes such as loyalty and integrity in addition to being successful in challenging environments and difficult situations, which is inherent in this position.
· Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 24th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline