Job Title: Public Health Officer
Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Grade: NO-B
Reports to: Chief of Mission
Ref: SVN: 04/10/016
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), established in 1951, is the leading international intergovernmental organization dealing with migration. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
Job Summary: The Public Health Officer will assist in IOM migration health assessment activities. In particular, he/she will ensure that: planning, coordinating and monitoring of CoAg Mental Health and Surveillance projects in MHD Uganda are done on time and in accordance with the work plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Carry out health promotion actives related to health assessment programme at IOM Migration Health Assessment Center in Uganda, implements various public health activities including research, data collection and analysis.
· The incumbent will assess psychosocial needs of traumatized Congolese refugees in the USRAP Uganda by working together with a consultant expert and developing and/or modifying already existing mental health screening tools for IOM panel physicians and nurse to screen refugees for preexisting mental health conditions.
· Work in close collaboration with the Psychiatrist-consultant designs training materials and organizes training for IOM staff to use screening tool to detect PTSD, anxiety and depression in Congolese refugees during health assessment.
· The incumbent will assess and implement enhanced coordination of inter-sectoral referral mechanisms for mental health and psychosocial support to USRP refugees in two sites in Uganda.
· Assesses the needs and develops specific health promotion materials for Congolese refugees
· Contributes to the analysis and technical elaboration of data gathered from the migration health assessment
· Coordinates with the local/national health authorities, physicians, hospitals and laboratories, as needed.
· Assists in the preparation, design, analysis and implementation of research activities related to the migration health, tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases.
· Assists in developing potential health and migration research/ projects/ programmes for the mission.
· Undertakes duty travel as needed.
· Writes donors’ reports as needed
· Performs any other duties that may be required from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the International Organization for Migration IOM Public Health Officer career placement should hold a University degree in Medicine, Degree in Medicine – MBChB or equivalent with Masters in Public Health or Epidemiology. Registered with Ugandan Medical Board;
· At least three years of relevant professional experience.
· Previous professional experience in migration health, mental health or primary health care for large populations and demonstrated capacity in designing and managing health care programmes in complex emergency settings preferred.
· Previous experience under IOM or UN resettlement, repatriation and other similar programmes within refugee setting will be an asset.
· Required IOM functional competencies: Effective Communicator, Successful Negotiator, Creative and Analytical Thinker, Active Learner, Team Player.
· Good computer knowledge in MS office packages.
· Capacity to work independently; able to carry out tasks with attention to detail; and demonstrated ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality;
· Available at short notice to travel within the country and to other countries;
· Languages: Fluency in both written and spoken English. Knowledge of 2 or 3 local languages is desired
· Accountability - accepts and gives constructive criticism; follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies; meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs; monitors own work to correct errors; takes responsibility for meeting commitments and for any shortcomings.
· Client Orientation - identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work; establishes and maintains effective working relationships with clients; Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors; governments, and project beneficiaries.
· Continuous Learning - contributes to colleagues' learning; demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills; demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas; Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area.
· Communication - actively shares relevant information; clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures; writes clearly and effectively, adapting wording and style to the intended audience; listens effectively and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience.
· Creativity and Initiative - proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
· Leadership and Negotiation - convinces others to share resources; presents goals as shared interests.
· Performance Management - provides constructive feedback to colleagues; provides fair, accurate, timely, and constructive staff evaluations; uses staff evaluations appropriately in recruitment and other relevant HR procedures.
· Planning and Organizing - sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others; identifies priority activities and assignments for self and others; organizes and documents work to allow for planned and unplanned handovers; identifies risks and makes contingency plans.
· Professionalism - masters subject matter related to responsibilities; identifies issues, opportunities, and risks central to responsibilities; incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation; persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress; treats all colleagues with respect and dignity; works effectively with people from different cultures by adapting to relevant cultural contexts; knowledgeable about and promotes IOM core mandate and migration solutions
· Teamwork - actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment; contributes to, and follows team objectives; gives credit where credit is due; seeks input and feedback from others; delegates tasks and responsibilities as appropriate; actively supports and implements final group decisions; takes joint responsibility for team’s work.
· Technological Awareness - learns about developments in available technology; proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions; understands applicability and limitation of technology and seeks to apply it to appropriate work.
Technical Competencies: Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level; maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated resumes, evidence of previous works and three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of the email and ensure to send your attachments as one document in PDF and the title of your attachment should be your full names
· If you receive a notification of non-delivery of your email, please forward your application to email@example.com
Deadline: 3rd November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline