Job Title: Protection Manager
Organisation: Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA)
Funding Source: UNHCR
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Country Program Manager
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief Aid (HIJRA) is an international African humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
About UNHCR Project:
HIJRA with funding from the UNHCR in Uganda is implementing a multi-sectoral Program for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro District) and Nyakabande Transit Center (Kisoro district).
Job Summary: The Protection Manager leads and coordinates HIJRA’s protection program with the objective of providing timely and effective protection to persons/populations of concern, as well as supervising protection interventions within an office. The incumbent must have the ability to forge strong partnerships with government entities, other NGOs and stakeholders to facilitate the operation’s protection objectives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Oversee the implementation and monitoring of programs ensuring that identified protection needs, including an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach, are adequately addressed.
· The incumbent will design, deliver and monitor programs on an AGD basis to address identified protection needs.
· Ensure participatory, community-based protection and AGD approaches are included in the strategies and plans of the country operation.
· Offer technical guidance and support to HIJRA and partners on all protection related issues.
· Develop and implement a child protection plan as part of the protection strategy ensuring programs use a child protection systems approach.
· The incumbent will implement and oversee Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solution activities.
· Coordinate the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related programming with implementing and operational partners.
· Develop and implement a program of results-based advocacy through a consultative process with sectoral and/or cluster partners.
· Coordinate capacity building initiatives for communities and individuals to assert their rights.
· Ensure that the perspectives, capacities, needs and resources of the persons of concerns are reflected in the protection strategy, planning processes and operations plan addressing the specific protection needs of women and men, children, youth, older persons, and persons with disabilities.
· The incumbent will coordinate the promotion of international refugee law principles and standards and also refugee legislation or policies ensuring that all sectors and clusters fulfil their responsibilities mainstreaming protection.
· Offer policy guidance and operational support to HIJRA on all protection related issues.
· Provide legal advice and guidance on protection issues to internal and external interlocutors; ensure legal assistance is accessible to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documents to persons of concern.
· Support a consultative process with government counterparts at local levels, partners and persons of concern to develop and implement integrated strategies that address the key protection priorities, including, for example, child protection, education and solutions approaches.
· Actively contribute to the Protection team's information management component which: provide disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems; researches, collects and disseminates relevant protection information and good practices to enhance protection delivery and provide technical advice if necessary.
· Through relationships with persons of concern, authorities and network of partners stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment and provide advice to senior management.
· Support persons of concern to develop structures that enhance their participation and protection.
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Program Manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the HIJRA Protection Manager vacancy must hold a University degree in Law, Human Rights, Community Development or other related discipline;
· At least five years of professional experience, two of which should have been at managerial level preferably in emergency and/or development context;
· Prior experience or familiarity with persons of concern (including internally displaced persons and refugees-returnees) would be a distinct advantage;
· Familiarity with guidelines on Protection Support in emergency settings.
· Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards.
· Good spoken and written English and relevant computer skills.
· Full respect for client/organization confidentiality.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and respect for people with special needs and other vulnerability.
· Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
· Previous experience in managing a team;
· Excellent analysis and reporting, communication and organization skills;
· Respect for applicable rules and procedures;
· Highly ethical and transparent decision-making;
· Ability to work with minimal supervision and under pressure;
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an application letter and Curriculum Vitae including telephone and email contacts of three referees including your current/most recent employer.
Application should be addressed to the:
Country Program Manager,
Humanitarian Initiative Just Relief AID (HIJRA),
P.O. Box 37703, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: “Protection Manager.”
Deadline: 16th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline