Job Title: Programmes Officer – Small Ruminants
Organisation: National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and Data Bank (NAGRC&DB)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Technical Manager, Breeding
The National Animal Genetics Resources Centre and Data Bank, (NAGRC&DB) is a body corporate under the Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry and Fisheries whose mandate is to take a leading role in establishing a comprehensive National Animal Breeding Programme in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Programmes Officer – Small Ruminants will actively contribute to the development and implementation of projects and programs for more efficient reproduction and breeding of small ruminants using appropriate and acceptable technologies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder studies the genetics, nutrition, reproduction, growth and development of small ruminants and designs and implements projects and programs for enhanced small ruminant reproduction and breeding that ensure the best results.
· Maintains breeding records of genealogy, small ruminant health and birth intervals, weight, diet, behavior and other breeding data.
· Supervises the care of small ruminants under the projects and programs including their shelter, health, reproduction, growth, breeding and nutrition.
· Actively participates in the selection of small ruminants with the most appropriate genetic characteristics for optimal reproduction and breeding.
· Applies reproduction assisted techniques and technologies.
· Regularly monitors, evaluates and reports on performance of reproductive and breeding programs and projects of small ruminants.
· Organizes and participates in exhibitions of small ruminants to promote marketing initiatives.
· Offers technical support on outreach programs to enhance breeder and farmer production and productivity.
· Performs any other official duties as assigned by the immediate Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor of Science degree in Veterinary Medicine, Agricultural Sciences or equivalent qualification from a recognized degree awarding institution.
· A Masters degree in Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science or an equivalent qualification from a recognized degree awarding institution.
· Specialization in animal breeding at Masters Degree level is an added advantage.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in animal industry is a prerequisite.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send their updated CVs, applications, testimonials and three professional referees (one of whom should be work-based) to;
The Executive Director,
Attn: Human Resource / Administration,
National Animal Genetic Resources Centre and DataBank (NAGRC & DB)
P.O. Box 183, Entebbe-Uganda.
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 28th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline