Job Title: Plantation Development Advisor (PDA)
Organisation: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: FAO Representative
Vacancy Announcement Number: FRUGA/01/11/SPGSIII/16
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) has a global mandate to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic’ growth. Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts - to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
About SPGS III Project:
FAO implements the Sawlog Production Grant Scheme Phase III project (SPGS III), an initiative of the Government of Uganda financed by the European Union, is catalyzing the production of high quality timber plantations with the dual purpose of increasing private sector confidence in forestry investment and mitigating the effect of climate change.
Job Summary: The Plantation Development Advisor will provide expert advice and technical assistance to support effective implementation, delivery and future programming for commercial forestry plantation development along the value chain from local to national level through policy, regulatory and technical interventions under the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support effective programming and functioning of the SPGS III, including identification of opportunities for investment in tree growing in the programme area/clusters;
· Support multi-stakeholder fora in lobbying for more enabling regulatory and policy environment for commercial forestry and transparent markets along the forest and forest industry value chains;
· Support strategic planning and guidance on implementation of silvicultural practices, such as in the establishment, assessment and valuation of forest plantations;
· Coach and mentor forest plantation officers/managers to a level that enables sustainable management of forest plantations (i.e. Forest certification, forest management principles, modern practical commercial and community forestry practices, etc)
· Actively facilitate vertical integration between tree growers, training and research institutions and processing industries for knowledge exchange and professional development;
· Support communication campaigns for the implementation of commercial forestry standards for standing timber and wood products, and raising market awareness;
· Support and advice on development of Forest Information and Management System;
· Provide support in the development of packages (models) to enhance employment opportunities for vulnerable people within the forest value chain in the project area;
· Support in identifying funding frameworks that strongly position FAO and Government of Uganda to attract resources and achieve high level impacts on commercial forestry initiatives;
· Offer support in the development and update of detailed practical commercial and community forestry training programme for SPGSIII staff, contractors, forest investors, communities, government forest managers and workers;
· Undertake other strategic roles related to project as directed by FAO Representative.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Plantation Development Advisor career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in forestry, natural resource management, environment management, or any other related field. A PhD will be an added advantage.
· At least ten years’ experience, of which five years in advisory capacity in a commercial forestry environment (plantation establishment and management preferably in East Africa/Africa). Broad knowledge and understanding of the commercial forestry industry in Uganda would be an added advantage.
· Excellent analytical, facilitation and communication (written and verbal in English) skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work amicably with diverse stakeholders.
· Proven ability to negotiate at policy and managerial level, as well as at community level.
· Ability to work under pressure and keep to deadlines.
NB: Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested Ugandan nationals should submit their applications together with detailed curriculum vitae (CV) and copies of certificates in a sealed envelope, and a completed FAO Personal Profile Form that can be accessed online, Click Here (Please logon or create online profile) , quoting Vacancy Announcement no. addressed to:
The Country Representative,
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in Uganda.
NB: The envelopes should be registered at reception and placed in the box at reception of the FAO offices at Plot 88 Buganda Road, Wandegeya, Kampala.
Deadline: 25th November 2016 by 2:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline