Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Organization: Restless Development
Duty Station: Uganda
Gross Annual Salary: UGX 16,705,235 gross per annum
Reports to: Programme Coordinator
Restless Development (Uganda) is an International NGO established to address the challenges faced by young people in Uganda by placing young people at the forefront of change and development. Our vision is for all Ugandan youth to live healthy and productive lives, fully supported by those around them. Our programming focuses on three core areas: youth sexual and reproductive health and rights, youth civic participation and youth employment and livelihoods.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will provide technical oversight and support to an ongoing Youth Livelihood Programme in Karamoja/Kotido district. The incumbent will work closely with the Programme Coordinator to provide support to ensure the smooth running of all monitoring and evaluation systems, processes and activities in our Kotido office. He/she will lead on developing and updating monitoring, evaluation and reporting systems, including tool design, data collection, packaging and disseminating data generated for internal and external use and audiences. He/she will support reporting and planning functions of the programme and oversee the project’s research, evaluation and learning activities and ensure effective management of all project databases.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead planning, monitoring and reporting systems 40% Working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit at Head Office:
· Develop an M&E Plan and strategy for the project
· The jobholder will assess the information requirements for the project and lead on design, development and review of all monitoring and reporting function, systems and tools for the project
· Support Area programme team to utilise planning, monitoring and reporting tools to capture information across programme indicators
· Take lead in the development of performance frameworks and tools used by different stakeholders and ensure consistency with the definition and methodology of collection by keeping an M&E analysis plan for each indicator.
· Design M&E guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the project as aligned to the national compendium and ensure compliance across the entire project process in liaison with the M&E Unit at Head Office.
· Support the programme team to Manage (record/capture, analyse, report, disseminate and safely store) project data.
· Design and lead training and other capacity building initiatives on monitoring and reporting systems for staff and volunteers in liaison with the M&E unit at Head office.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual M&E project reports as per organisational and donor requirements and guidelines such as Key Performance Indicator reports showing progress against each indicator, efficiency reports, NPRs (National Progress Reports) and KAP (Knowledge Attitude and Practices) Surveys to support donor reporting requirements at all times (monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual reports)
· Carry out performance reviews, validation and data use workshops periodically as agreed with the line manager
· Conduct Quarterly Data Quality Assurance (DQA) for the project in collaboration with program staff and M&E Unit at Head Office.
Package and Disseminate learning 20% Working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit at Head Office:
· Manage the analysis of monitoring and reporting data and produce reports for timely dissemination to internal and external stakeholders
· Organise multi-stakeholder review meetings and other internal and external fora to disseminate programme results and learning
· Prepare internal and external reports as required
· Document lessons, best practices and impact from area project for learning within, across and outside Restless Development.
· Ensure learning is shared and disseminated between Restless Development, development stakeholders and UGAPRIVI at different foras within and outside the organisation
· Document case studies (Monthly) and Most Significant change Stories (MSCs) on a quarterly and bi-annual basis highlighting programme success and lead in the participatory review and selection of the MSCs.
Lead research and evaluation activities 20% Working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit at Head Office:
· Take lead in the design and implementation of market assessments, baseline and end line surveys, midterm review while working closely with the programme team
· Support youth-led research initiatives as part of the programme cycle
· Oversee the programme mid-term and final evaluations
· Design and lead training and other capacity building initiatives on monitoring and reporting systems for staff and volunteers
· Perform and ensure quality assurance of programme systems and interventions
Manage data storage systems 15% Working closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Unit at Head Office:
· Assist the programme team in documentation and filing of all programme data using both on and offline systems
· Establish and regularly update programme databases clearly showing the project reach across target population
· Carry out data verification and quality assurance in line with organisational and donor requirements
· Prepare and send reports drawing on data captured as per organisational and donor requirements
Other 5% Other duties as required. Occasionally working on weekends and holidays for which time off in lieu can be taken
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the Restless Development Monitoring and Evaluation Officer should hold a Bachelor’s degree in the field of Statistics, Demography, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Social development, Social Work and Social Administration, or any other relevant field of study.
· Possession of a Post graduate Diploma in M&E is an added advantage
· Post Graduate training in statistical data analysis software and packages is an added advantage.
· Any other training in livelihoods, sexual reproductive health, civic participation/engagement and conflict sensitivity programming is essential
· A minimum of three years’ experience in the development sector, including Research monitoring, evaluation and learning (e.g. data collection, entry, cleaning, analysis, reporting)
· Broad knowledge and understanding of monitoring, evaluation, learning and reporting systems and tools, including both qualitative and quantitative methods
· Excellent understanding of development issues, particularly in relation to youth livelihoods and employment, sexual reproductive health, and civic engagement
· Excellent IT skills, including database design and maintenance, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Word
· Well versed and conversant with IT and internet based communications and sharing platforms like Google drive, Email, Skype and social media.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent organisational skills and a sound, methodological approach to financial management
· Experience in developing and maintaining administrative and financial systems
· Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to make sound operational decisions
· Good team player able to balance work under own initiative and that of team mates
· Excellent interaction and interpersonal skills
· Willingness to travel to project areas as required for monitoring visits
· Willing to work in rural area project settings.
· Highly adaptable to rural area project settings.
· A strong personal commitment to the values of Restless Development
· Previous experience in training others in monitoring and evaluation tools and techniques is desired
· Prior experience with relevant software packages such as Epi Info, Excel and SPSS is an added advantage
· Previous exposure and experience of supporting youth volunteering programmes
· Experience in monitoring and evaluating livelihood programs
· The individual must be results orientated, highly self-motivated and have demonstrated analytical skills.
· The successful candidate will thrive in a multi-cultural environment as part of a rapidly growing and developing organisation and be personally committed to Restless Development’s mission and values.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Restless Development in the aforementioned capacity should fill in this form, download here, and send it to email@example.com. Please note that we DO NOT accept CVs, resumes and cover letters.
Deadline: 7th December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline