Job Title: Livelihood Specialist
Organisation: Food for the Hungry (FH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Program Director
Food for the Hungry (FH) is a Christian international relief and development organization that has been working in Uganda since 1989. FH’s primary goal is to respond to development needs and complex humanitarian emergencies. FH is currently operating programs in more than 26 countries and has national offices in the UK, Canada, Switzerland, Korea, United States of America and Japan. In Uganda, FH is operational in the communities of Pader, Kitgum, Lamwo, Agago, Kole, Kween, Mbale, and Mukono Districts implementing programs in four main sectors of Education; Food Security and livelihoods; Health/Nutrition and Disaster Risk Reduction; with the Head office located it Kampala.
Job Summary: The Livelihood Specialist will take charge of the contextualizing and aligning the Livelihoods strategies to the requirements and/or policies that the local government has and to the reality of the country. Trains the staff for the appropriate implementation of the sectoral strategies and advise and oversee the effective implementation and management of the livelihoods components of FH Uganda program portfolio. The Livelihoods Supervisor will identify specific growth opportunities for livelihoods programs and support the realization of the FH 2015-2020 strategic plan.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Technical Quality (60%)
· Offer technical leadership and direction for all livelihoods activities; define and implement activities to achieve the greatest coverage and impact possible. This includes providing technical guidance on contextually-appropriate methodologies for delivering livelihoods activities.
· Provides technical training and support to all Multi-Sector Transformation Promoters in promoting livelihood activities in the community for their adoption and practice.
· Prepares and updates livelihoods reports and report systems in coordination with the M&E Coordinator and ensures timely submission.
· Ensures monitoring and evaluation activities for livelihoods are carried out and appropriate corrective/preventative actions are implemented in coordination with the M&E Coordinator
· Establishes, coordinates, and maintains relationships with different livelihoods stakeholders at international and national level
· Prepares livelihoods proposals in coordination with relevant staff at the local and national level.
· Ensure that ethical and sound data collection and information management systems are in place for appropriate program analysis, planning, evaluation, and advocacy in line with the overall program M&E.
· Ensure regular communication with the Program Management Team within FH Uganda, and headquarters-based Technical Advisors for Food Security and Livelihoods to integrate appropriate technical unit priorities in program design and implementation.
Program Management (30%)
· Manage the implementation of the livelihoods component of all food security projects in FH Uganda Program.
· Work in liaison with the Program Management Team on developing sound implementation plans, budgets, and spending plans to successfully implement the livelihoods component within this sectors’ programming.
· Identify staff development and training needs to ensure that existing staff have the right skills to implement livelihoods activities (training will include business and life skills related curricula).
· Use tracking and monitoring tools to ensure program implementation is on track and of highest quality.
Staff Development (5%)
· Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
· Assist with and as necessary lead the recruitment of livelihoods staff, in coordination with FH Uganda human resources and senior management, and headquarters' technical units.
External Relations (5%)
· Support the Program Director with representation to the government at national level, helping to ensure constructive working relationships are maintained to allow expansion and growth of FH Uganda transformation development in the province.
· Work in close conjunction with the Program Director and other staff, represent FH Uganda at the national level to other NGOs, and visitors ensuring coordination and attendance at relevant interagency technical, and security coordination networks as necessary.
· Seek out donor opportunities in line with livelihoods strategy and priorities.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Food for the Hungry (FH) Livelihood Specialist job opportunity must hold a Master’s degree in Agriculture, International Development, Rural Development, Business Administration, Economics, Management, Humanitarian Response. A post graduate diploma in Project Planning and Management is an added advantage.
· At least five years of relevant work experience in Livelihoods and Food Security- related fields.
· Proven leadership and strategic planning capabilities with demonstrated budget management ability.
· Broad knowledge and experience of market analysis private sector engagement, and livelihoods mapping
· Working knowledge of all regulatory, contractual, legal and financial compliance requirements associated with international donor funding.
· Willingness to travel to the field and occasionally at field sites with rustic conditions and various levels of privation.
· Possess good Office Suite skills
· Experience with ICT-based livelihoods solutions a plus
· Proficiency in spoken and written English.
· Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers clients, customers, and the general public.
· The incumbent designs the monitoring and evaluation system considering the requirements and criteria for each sector and project.
· Have a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ
· Has thorough understanding of development and/or missions
· Has a strong aptitude for organizational change, participatory and servant leadership, innovation, learning, team building
· Is interested in the growth and well-being of the staff
· Strong people-management and leadership skills
· Proven experience in managing donor relationships including private donors
· Ability to represent the Agency in high-level meetings with donors, local Church and local government.
· Commitment to accountability to beneficiaries and transparency, showing dignity and respect, and demonstrating listening and understanding
· Proven Ministry and church planting / development experience
· Excellent communication skills and writing skills.
· Good team player
· Additional training and mentoring skills
How to Apply:
All interested candidates are encouraged to send an updated CV and cover letter with three work-related referees including the most recent or current employer to the address or via e-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: 2nd December 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline