Job Title: Legal Officer
Organisation: Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) is a statutory body established in accordance with the Electricity Act, 1999 (Chapter 145, Laws of Uganda). The Act empowers ERA to regulate the Generation, Transmission, Sale, Export, Import-and Distribution of electrical energy in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Legal Officer will provide support in the legal, compliance, monitoring and enforcement issues, draft legal documents and conduct legal research.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Conduct research and provide legal opinions, inputs and assessments on the review and interpretation on policies, laws, terms and conditions in licensing, policy and regulatory obligations in the electricity sector industry.
· Handle requests for legal support and advice from other departments in licensing, compliance, enforcement and contract management.
· Offer technical support in public hearings, installation permit committee meetings and various consultative meetings of the Authority.
· Maintain an up-to-date record and databases of licences and permit holders compliance with licence terms and conditions, regulations and the Electricity Act 1999.
· The jobholder will investigate, assess and respond to consumer and permit holders complaints and allegations in the Electricity Sector Industry including conducting the appropriate debriefing interviews, communicating with the complainants and counterpart internal and external stakeholders.
· Formulate detailed investigation plans and strategies.
· Carry out and report on investigations in licensing, compliance and enforcement to the highest standards of quality, thoroughness, accuracy, timeliness and objectivity.
· Prepare due diligence, search and investigative reports in respect of legal issues in compliance, licensing and enforcement.
· The incumbent will coordinate with other departments and support routine activities in licensing and feasibility study permit administration and management.
· In charge of maintaining licensing and permit databases and other related tasks
· Undertake general administration duties and update standard contracts.
· Work closely with consumer and public affairs and installation permit units to resolve consumer complaints and allegations
· Develop effective risk identification and management tools
· Ensuring timely resolution of consumer and permit holders risks identified through ongoing or completed investigations
· Actively participate in the development and implementation of pro-active strategies and best practices for compliance and enforcement, redress of consumer complaints and allegations
· Perform any other related duties as may be reasonably assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) Legal Officer job opportunity should hold an honors degree in Law (LLB).
· The applicant must hold a Diploma in legal practice from the Law Development Centre.
· Registered Advocate of good standing in the High Court of Uganda with a valid practicing certificate.
· At least three years of relevant post enrollment working experience in a busy law firm, reputable organization, government /regulatory agency.
· Proficiency in relevant computer packages such as Word and Outlook.
· Excellent analytical skills and ability to pay attention to detail.
· Must be a result oriented and a team player with an impeccable degree of professionalism.
· Impeccable integrity, sound judgment, fairness and discretion in dealing internally and externally.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Age: Above 25 years
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their application letters and enclose copies of: Detailed Curriculum Vitae (indicating daytime telephone number (s), fax or email address of the applicant and daytime telephone numbers, fax or email addresses of three Referees) and relevant transcripts and certificates. The applications should be delivered preferably by recorded delivery, addressed to:
The Manager, Human Resources & Administration,
Electricity Regulatory Authority,
Plot 15, Shimoni Road,
P. O. Box 10332, Kampala - Uganda
Deadline: 18th November, 2016 by 5:00 PM
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline