Job Title: Human Resource Officer
Organisation: Protecting Families Against HIV/AIDS (PREFA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager
Protecting Families Against HIV/AIDS (PREFA) is an indigenous Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that was formed to contribute to Uganda’s efforts in enhancing access to quality HIV/AIDS prevention, care, treatment, and support services to families with a historical focus on Elimination of Mother-to-Child Transmission (eMTCT) of HIV. PREFA has expanded her efforts to improving acceptable and sustainable Sexual Reproductive Health Services and Child Protection Programs. Funding is from Centre for Disease, UKAid, Terre des Homme Netherlands (TDH-NL) and Girls’ Advocacy Alliance (GAA).
Job Summary: The Human Resource Officer will be responsible for coordinating and administering the Human Resource (HR) function for Protecting Families against HIV/Aids (PREFA), formulation and implementation of the PREFA Human Resource policies and plans, development and maintenance of an efficient, effective and productive workforce that is motivated and capable of meeting PREFA strategic objectives/targets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Recruitment and Selection:
· Proactively liaise with hiring managers in identification of staffing gaps, develop workforce plans and coordinate the recruitment .process
· Develop and maintain an orientation guide for the organisation, coordinate orientation of new staff, as well as track and manage the probationary periods for staff.
Policy formulation, dissemination and implementation:
· Actively participate in formulation of HR management policies and facilitate implementation of PREFA Human Resource policies to promote best practice and an organisational culture that supports motivation and retention of staff.
· Work in close coordination with the Senior Management team and supervisors, provide guidance on design of the internal HR systems; ensure that proper HR procedures and systems are operated and maintained at all project locations.
· Work in close collaboration with managers and supervisors to ensure they participate in the formulation, and review of staff policies including: updating the HR manual, interpreting and training managers and staff on procedures, policies and guidelines indicated in the HR manual.
· Regularly communicate, educate and update staff on HR policies, through memos, emails, staff meetings and/or awareness seminars to ensure buy- in, uniform understanding and implementation of policies and procedure.
· Maintain an effective Human Resource Information system that provides up to date and accurate staff related information for proper decision making and reporting on HR status.
· Manage staff employment contracts and contract renewal processes within the set timelines.
· Regularly monitor up-date and manage staff records and provide accurate HR information for management decision making whenever required. This should be done in a mature and responsible manner so as to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of personal information of the staff and PREFA records
· Prepare and submit reports and other briefs as and when required.
· Monitor and manage staff leave,
· Manage the performance management cycle and associated processes
· Keenly analyze performance goals, annual appraisals and other performance management information/tools and guide the line managers on performance management.
· Provide technical support and build capacity of staff in performance management processes.
· Periodically prepare and provide performance management reports for management decision making and facilitate performance consequence management.
Organizational Learning and Development:
· Develop, monitor and implement organisational learning and development plans.
· Assist Managers and Coordinators to develop and implement the training plans.
· Evaluate impact of trainings and learning initiatives and implement mechanisms to facilitate transfer of learning.
· Coordinate and facilitate change management processes.
Staff well- being and engagement:
· Plan and implement delivery of staff well-being initiatives and emotional well-being programs, and liaise with relevant stakeholders to ensure that staff concerns are addressed.
· Provide guidance on handling employee grievances and disciplinary procedures, provide counseling and coaching to staff and advise management on disciplinary procedures.
· Payroll management and administration
· Assist the finance department in managing payroll for the staff.
· Guide management and staff on the staff separation processes and ensure that the staff separation procedure is in place and within the labor laws.
· Coordinate and guide management of staff transitions during programme/ project phase outs and ensure all applicable policies and procedures are adhered to
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, industrial and organizational psychology or Bachelor of Arts Degree in Social Sciences/Public administration with a Postgraduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
· Possession of a master’s degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of four years’ experience in Human Resource practice.
· Knowledge of Uganda labor laws is highly preferred.
· Excellent skills in problem solving and conflict resolution, crisis management and training facilitation.
· Ability to work well within a team and build positive team spirit.
· Highly self-motivated.
· Ability to pay attention to detail and work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment.
· Ability to plan, organizes, manage time, and meet deadlines.
· Must be hardworking and able to perform all other tasks and responsibilities assigned for the benefit of PREFA.
How to Apply:
All interested candidates should send a current detailed CV, application letter, copies of testimonials and certificates; and three professional references with telephone and email contacts to:
The Executive Director,
Protecting Families Against HIV/AIDS (PREFA),
Plot 71, Lithuli Avanue Bugolobi,
P.O Box 25769, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 25th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline