Job Title: Head Marketing and Communication
Organisation: Stanbic Bank
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job ID: 19621
Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is a subsidiary of Stanbic Africa Holdings Limited which is in turn owned by Standard Bank Group Limited (“the Group”), Africa’s leading banking and financial services group. The Standard Bank Group is the leading banking group focused on emerging markets. It is the largest African banking group ranked by assets and earnings. Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited is the largest bank in Uganda by assets and market capitalization. It offers a full range of banking services through two business units; Personal and Business Banking (PBB), and Corporate and Investment Banking (CIB).
Job Summary: The Head Marketing and Communication will support Stanbic Bank by building long-term brand equity and financial success through;
Developing and driving the execution of the brand, CSI and business unit marketing and communication strategies in alignment with Standard Bank Group strategies.
Guiding internal and external reputation management
Providing in-country thought leadership on marketing and communication
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Manages core marketing and communication functionality:
· Develops and oversees the execution of the brand and marketing strategy, including the integrated media and digital communication strategy
· Provides the strategic direction and guides the development of the business unit marketing and communication strategies as well as strategies for specialist functions e.g. CSI, external communication, internal communication and events.
· Steer the implementation of strategies and plans for business unit marketing and communication and specialist functions and assists in driving consistency and coordination between different business units
· Ensures effective investment in long-term versus short-term initiatives
· Implements and monitors the drivers of brand reputation in line with brand strategy and make recommendations for improvement
· Influences business units and other global enabling functions to ensure alignment to brand strategy and maximum brand equity
· Represents Stanbic Bank as a spokesperson for external media coverage and comment ensuring that the group is well represented
· Stays abreast with changes in legislation and the local environment; and marketing and communication trends and reviews strategies accordingly as required
· Keeps executives informed of reputational issues and marketing and communication trends, advising them on possible action
· Contracts and manages third-party agency suppliers to ensure delivery of specialist skill marketing activities
· Manages the in-country marketing budget
· Manages the operational budget with specific focus on professional fees, travel and entertainment and training
· Optimises and ensures alignment to procurement processes
· Optimises payment of expenses and ensures alignment to service level agreements with external suppliers e.g. agencies
· Ensures minimal variance between budget and actual spend for Marketing and Communication budget
· Minimise spend on other operational expenses and capex
· Drive efficiencies of spend across multiple initiatives
· Responsible for inspiring, motivating, leading and managing the team.
· Responsible for the recruitment, development and retention of relevant skills in order to meet the business needs.
· Ensures the effective selection of staff by matching the skills and competencies to the requirements of the job.
· Ensures skills assessments and competency-based training takes place as and when required.
· Builds organisational capabilities through evaluating likely future requirements and ensuring that individuals are provided with the best possible development opportunities in line with these.
· Creates an environment in which learning and development are emphasised and valued.
· Takes personal responsibility for coaching and mentoring others.
· Effectively delegates authority and responsibility, in line with business objectives, to ensure the empowerment, motivation and effectiveness of all direct and indirect reports.
· Promotes a culture where the values of the group are seen to be ‘alive’
· Ensures the implementation of the leadership promise and employee engagement programme.
· Encourages team members to express their views, resolves issues raised by the team, escalates issues if required, and provides feedback to teams on an ongoing basis.
· Develops and maintains an open communication channel with direct reports and supports staff to foster greater co-operation and teamwork.
· Monitors and manages the performance and development of staff within the area. This includes regular one-on-one feedback sessions, conducting mid-year and final performance appraisals, as well as the moderation and relative distribution of all appraisals for the team.
· Ensures staff are appropriately and consistently rewarded and recognised for their achievements and outputs.
· Ensures that disciplinary action and grievances are addressed and aligned to policies and procedures.
· In charge of training and development of the marketing and communications team
Core marketing and communication functionality:
· Brand health measures with specific emphasis on spontaneous brand and advertising awareness and reputation drivers (Africa Brand Tracker)
· Generic media, digital and direct effectiveness measures such as frequency per campaign, click-through rates, opening rate.
· Marketing communication performance (share of voice and media spend)
· Reputation measurement – PR
Compliance Management: No regulatory and legislative breaches on Communications released into the public space
· Develop and present annual Country CSI strategy to EXCO and Board for approval
· Work with the Head Corporate Communications to translate the CSI strategy and CSI policy into actionable activities
· Support the activities of such structures as may be established by the Board for the implementation of the CSI strategy and policy
· Engage with business units and social partners to ensure the relevance and effectiveness of CSI programmes
· Take overall responsibility for CSI and ECI reputation risk management within SBU and; Take accountability for escalating any potential reputational risks to ExCo timeously
Supplier Management: Supplier performance measures (on time delivery and best price available)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Stanbic Bank Head Marketing and Communication career opportunity must hold a Master’s Degree or post-graduate qualification in Marketing and Communications; Business Commerce or related field.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of marketing principles and practices from strategic planning to implementation and measurement
· A thorough knowledge of brand principles and theory, working knowledge of common research methodologies.
· Working knowledge of various media and the creative requirements, including digital media.
· Working knowledge of artwork/advertising production processes.
· Working knowledge of Corporate Social Investment requirement and best practices
· Memberships to CIM, PRAU, ETC is added advantage
· Effective Business Communication: Proven ability to communicate information and ideas in a clear and concise manner appropriate for the audience in order to explain, persuade, convince and influence others to achieve the desired outcomes
· Presentation Skills: The ability to communicate and deliver information verbally in a clear, concise and comprehensive manner to other people, using appropriate props and tools. :
· Internal Communications Strategy: The ability to plan, develop and implement communications plans for employees that enables improved engagement and brand affiliation for employees.
· High Involvement Facilitation: The ability to facilitate a session by dealing with ambiguity. The ability to elicit specific behaviour, change and influence attitudes, viewpoints and values by adapting style. Encourages debate and difference in opinion, integrates thoughts, objectives and problems.
· Brand Management: The ability to use marketing techniques to increase the perceived value of the organisation over time and build customer loyalty through positive brand awareness.
· Campaign Management: The ability to plan, create, track, store, distribute, analyse results and reports on communication, branding or advertising campaigns.
· Leading Courageously: Believing in on self, own judgement, skills and experience, and using this self-confidence to challenge others for the benefit of Standard Bank. Has confidence to bring conflict into the open to be resolved; Is able to confront others (peers, boss, etc.) or brings disagreement into the open with the purpose of resolving it, landing on a decision, to ensure action. Is open and honest when communicating with others ("straight talk"). Challenges popular values, decisions and opinions to ensure that actions are taken in the Bank's best interest. Takes action in defiance of corporate rules and procedures for the greater good of the business and its stakeholders. Accepts personal risks and/or consequences of failure and persist in the face of opposition or fear.
· Influencing Others: Effectively and strategically influences across the organisation, based on previously established credibility and respect, as well as understanding the organisational dynamics, politics and interpersonal context.
· Tailors the strategic communications to the audience; Considers the thoughts, concerns, interests and personality of the audience when defining the influencing strategy. Adapts settings, words, presentation, use of third parties or experts when attempting to influence decision makers or stakeholders. Engages the audience at an emotional level based on genuine personal conviction.
· Customer and Client Focused Innovation: Focusing attention and efforts on understanding customers (or customer segments) and proactively addressing different customer/client needs. Makes organisational changes or innovates when needed to address customer/client needs. Adapts to meet customer/client needs; Adapts existing products, services, processes etc. to better meet specific customer needs. Uses understanding of customer needs to adapt products, systems processes and procedures that ensure customer satisfaction.
· Seeking Deeper Understanding: Is actively curious, seeking a deeper, broader and more objective understanding, upon which to base commercial acumen, strategic decisions and actions. Builds an extensive, in-depth awareness of macro-environmental trends; Seeks economic, political, ecological, sociological, technological, cultural and/or regulatory factors to shape major strategic decisions.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the one of Africa’s biggest Banking Groups, Standard Bank in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by visiting Link below.
Deadline: 10th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline