Job Title: Head Institutional Strengthening
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Programmes
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence. WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Job Summary: The Head Institutional Strengthening will lead WaterAid on sector analysis and developing content of the country strategy paper, defining the sector strengthening agenda for the country strategy. The incumbent will ensure the design and intent of the field level programming is aligned to deliver the sector strengthening intent agenda of the country programme and provide oversight and support towards the effective implementation of the sector strengthening at district and national level. The incumbent will work towards increasing the profile of WaterAid Uganda to positively contribute to accelerating universal access in Uganda via shaping sector systems and practice.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Analytical Leadership and communication:
· Take lead in the development of a clear strategy for delivering the sector capacity strengthening objectives of WAU.
· Responsible for developing, implementing and documenting institutional strengthening methodologies and approaches
· Articulate the purpose and influencing intent of the programming work through supporting the design and approach to program work
· Leading research pieces that can add value to sector knowledge and developing compelling messages for influencing sector actors.
· Proactively engage in sector discussions, build and maintain relationships with key sector ministries, institutions and other strategic partners
· Ensure all staff have clear knowledge and understanding of WAU’s strategic intent and purpose in the sector.
· In charge of following-up on trends in sector processes, strategies and practice to advice senior management on possible actions in terms of delivering organizational messaging at key forums.
· Responsible for generating analytical briefs, communication materials and case stories of evidence and excellence generated from programming at field in line with the CP and global priorities.
· Develop and implement trainings, workshops, participatory design processes and consultancies in institutional strengthening for both public and private entities.
· Ensure the right level of quality control on any outsourced research pieces with a clear plan for utilization to advance the CPs strategic priorities. .
· Technical Support and Oversight:
· Work effectively within a matrix organizational structure with staff in the other program pillars as well as finance to ensure that all the programme activities are in line with influencing objectives.
· Ensure that WASH service delivery follows the core value of equity and inclusion through mainstreaming equity and inclusion in the projects implemented with government
· Ensure that WASH Programme delivery at the field level is designed to positively impact the building of better WASH systems and generate replicable results that can be profiled to contribute to universal access
· Spearhead the sector strengthening agenda by ensuring the shape and content of all programs at the field level are designed to generate evidence and excellence that can be utilized at regional and national level
· Responsible for generating consistent critical analysis on the national, regional and district level political economy which will inform and shape partnership with government as well as investments.
· Represent WAU at different meetings and forums, nationally/internationally as assigned by line management
Networking and Partnerships:
· Responsible for building partnerships with government institutions, donors, universities, private sector and research institutions so as to advance WAU’s strategic objectives.
· Build networks of supporters by sharing WAU’s key messages.
· Represent WAU in key sector events nationally or globally as assigned
· Work in liaison with the Director Programmes, Fundraising and Strategy Director to develop concept notes for mobilizing sufficient resources for the CP strategic priorities.
· Collect case stories and share with the fund raising team for mobilizing resources locally or globally from funding agencies.
Monitoring and Reporting:
· Regularly monitor implementation of sector capacity building/system strengthening programme and prepare key reports on the basis of organizational policies and procedures including monthly, quarterly, biannual and annual reports.
· Ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and WAU requirements.
· Directly supervise all staff in the unit, support recruitment, supervision, performance evaluation and capacity development of these positions.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the WaterAid Head Institutional Strengthening career opportunity should hold a Master’s level qualification in Development Studies, Public Health, WASH, or other related discipline.
· At least ten years’ experience working in a developing country and/or humanitarian context, with prior experience in senior programme management or working towards senior programme management.
· Previous exposure and experience in public sector institutional support and/or reform
· Excellent management and communication skills with the ability to motivate, support and mentor staff to produce results
· Excellent report writing and communication skills
· Previous experience in business development within private sector is desired
· Prior exposure and experience in solid/ liquid waste or other utilities management
· Experience in designing and implementing behaviour change activities
· Previous experience working within a Consortium, or a project with multiple partners
· Advanced written and spoken English
· Significant experience of programme design and successful proposal development.
· Demonstrable experience and competence in networking and effective relationship building with peers, donors and government.
· High level of diplomacy and tact
· Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
· Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
· Strong proven delegation, time management and prioritising skills
· Flexible, patient and adaptable to a changing environment.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills.
· Effective networking abilities
· Excellent people management capabilities
· Good public speaking ability in English
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and motivation letters to: WAUrecruitment@wateraid.org including three work related referees. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
NB: In order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Uganda.
Deadline: 16th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline