Job Title: Head Finance and Grants
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Director Finance
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence. WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Job Summary: The Head Finance and Grants will provide strategic leadership of the finance and grants function for WaterAid Uganda ensuring effective application of financial policies and procedures. The jobholder will lead the delivery of good financial management both within the CP and partner organisations. The role supports the Director Finance to implement effective and efficient financial management controls. In grant management, the position is responsible for ensuring that WaterAid Uganda fulfils its grant requirements and compliance, including developing high quality and timely grant reports to demonstrate WaterAid’s added value to donors.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure the timely submission of high quality financial reports, for internal and external audiences. Proactively draw attention to any problem areas and initiate solutions in consultation with the Director Finance and other staff as appropriate.
· Ensure all financial accounting processes are completed. Ensure the Income and Expenditure accounts & balance sheet are reviewed and reconciled as appropriate and monthly returns are submitted within corporate deadline.
· Take lead in the provision of monthly management accounts reporting financial performance and explaining reasons for deviations from plans and proposing major actions required to address any major deviations.
· Offer support and review the development of financial plans for funding proposals and monitor expenditure against grant agreements, working with the SMT to resolve issues as necessary.
· Provide support in the completion of new and potential partner capacity assessments, making recommendations on whether to engage in a partnership arrangement with such partners as well as identifying risk management plans, partner financial management capacity needs and plans where required.
· Lead the Accounting Team, ensuring an effective utilisation of their capacity toward the achievement of the unit objectives.
· Support on the internal and external audits and to coordinate the development and implementation of any action plans to address external and internal audit recommendations.
· Actively support the proposal development and budget planning for concept notes, the donor report preparation and funding matrix updates. Assist in the implementation of the new WAU full cost allocation policy.
· Undertake any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required as the above is given as a broad range of duties and is not intended to be a complete description of all tasks. It is important to note that the responsibilities may change to meet the evolving needs of the way WaterAid works.
· The incumbent will ensure regular review of partner reports are completed and funds transferred for project activities are properly accounted for and utilised for designated activities.
· The Manager will also ensure high quality partner monitoring visits with programme staff are conducted on a regular basis and that financial assessment reports are produced on a timely basis
· Ensure all existing and potential donor income is accurately incorporated into WAU’s internal planning process, and plans are in line with donor requirements and WaterAid policy and practice.
· Work closely with Programmes and Finance to review progress during WaterAid’s internal review processes including variance analysis of grant outputs and expenditure.
· Financial administration and reporting including preparation and submission of grant reports, development and adjustment of associated budgets, coordination of budgeted funds, screening requests for expenditures.
· Ensure appropriate donor management systems, records and processes are in place, up-to-date and in compliance with WaterAid policy and practice.
· Regularly monitor and coordinate compliance with donor requirements, including grant reporting. Work collaboratively with internal teams and implementing partners to ensure all contractual funding requirements are met and utilization of funds does not exceed the budget.
· Work closely with Programme staff and the donor to ensure high quality visits.
· Highlighting key risks related to grant-funded projects, such as under/over-spends, delayed delivery of commitments, capacity gaps, and donor relationships.
· Work with internal teams and partners to identify capacity needs and build capacity in areas such as report writing and documentation
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the WaterAid Head Finance and Grants job vacancy must hold a full Accounting qualification/certification e.g. CA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA or a Master’s degree in a Finance qualification
· At least eight years’ experience in Finance and Grants management
· Ability to plan, prioritize and organize self and others, Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
· Quality and relevant experience in finance and accountancy in a senior position in a major organisation
· Significant experience in preparing and monitoring budgets & developing monitoring and reporting systems.
· Ability to provide financial analysis and interpretation to Country Management Team for decision-making.
· Broad knowledge of government policies and regulations on financial management and taxation
· Knowledge of international donor reporting requirements
· Risk analysis and risk management experience
· Knowledge of water, sanitation or hygiene projects is desirable
· Strong knowledge of fund accounting regulations for non-profit organisations.
· Previous exposure and experience of working in an international NGO
· Prior experience in using SUN systems and vision excel
· Basic knowledge and understanding of Project Management
· Good leadership qualities, team building spirit and problem solving skills; should be able to draw confidence and support from others.
· Self-motivated with good interpersonal skills and capacity to understand and walk with people from all walks of life.
· Personal integrity, flexible attitude, sense of transparency, proactive and has respect for gender, diversity and organizational cultural.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated CVs and motivation letters to: WAUrecruitment@wateraid.org including three work related referees. Emails should not exceed 2MB.
NB: In order to apply for this role, you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Uganda.
Deadline: 16th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline