Job Title: Project Assistant SSCoS
Organization: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Grade: G-4
Reports to: Project Manager SSCoS
Ref: SVN: 06/10/016
The International Organization for Migration (IOM), established in 1951, is the leading international intergovernmental organization dealing with migration. IOM works to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
About SSCoS Project:
IOM is implementing the project “Strengthening Social cohesion and community stabilization in slum populations”. The project aims to address the root causes of inter communal conflict in slum populations by addressing sources of grievances and by strengthening community cohesion around shared development assets. The project will provide employment opportunities and basic local services, as well as preventing conflict in marginalized communities in urban slums of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide day-to-day support to the implementing partner to ensure timely implementation of project activities;
· Offer support to the implementing partner to develop annual work plans and prepare periodic narrative reports;
· Work in close coordination with the implementing partner, provide economic support assistance for small business set up to project beneficiaries;
· Offer support to the implementing partner in developing and designing community engagement activities;
· Actively participate in community-level meetings/ functions with relevant stakeholders;
· Provide regular, detailed, updates on the activities implemented by the implementing partner;
· Perform any other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the International Organization for Migration IOM Project Assistant SSCoS job opportunity should hold a High School Degree/ Certificate with three years’ experience or Diploma/ Certificate with one year of experience in International Relations, Social Sciences, Human Rights, Development Studies or related field.
· A minimum of three years (one year for applicants with Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant experience working with NGOs.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and report writing skills;
· Knowledgeable in community mobilization and community development
· Experience working in slum communities, an advantage
· Proven experience in livelihood and socio-economic support;
· Basic counselling skills
· Previous exposure and experience working with youth;
· Demonstrable ability to take initiative, work in a team and work with minimal supervision.
· Languages: English (fluent). Working knowledge of other UN languages is desired
· Accountability-Follows all relevant procedures, processes, and policies; Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs; Monitors own work to correct errors
· Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; Effectively interfaces with government officials of appropriate level on matters related to substantive migration issues and the work of IOM
· Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; Demonstrates interest in improving relevant skills; Demonstrates interest in acquiring skills relevant to other functional areas
· Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; Writes clearly and effectively, adjusting wording to the intended audience
· Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services ; Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
· Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders; Convinces others to share resources
· Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; Identifies risks and makes contingency plans; Adjusts priorities and plans to achieve goals; Allocates appropriate times and resources for own work and that of team members
· Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context; Persistent, calm, and polite in the face of challenges and stress
· Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Contributes to, and follows team objectives; Seeks input and feedback from others
· Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Proactively identifies and advocates for cost-efficient technology solutions
Technical Competencies: Effectively applies knowledge of migration issues within organizational context
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their updated resumes, evidence of previous works and three references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of the email and ensure to send your attachments as one document in PDF and the title of your attachment should be your full names
· If you receive a notification of non-delivery of your email, please forward your application to email@example.com
Deadline: 10th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline