Job Title: Librarian
Organisation: Parliamentary Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Librarian
The Parliamentary Commission of Uganda serves the following functions;
· Appoint, promote and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding public office in Parliament;
· Review the terms and conditions of service, standing orders, training and qualifications of persons holding office in Parliament;
· Provide a Parliamentary reporting service;
· Provide such other staff and facilities as are required to ensure efficient functioning of the Parliament;
· To cause to be prepared in each financial year, estimates of revenue and expenditure for the next financial year; and
· Make recommendations to Parliament, or with the approval of Parliament, determine the allowances payable and privileges available to the Speaker and Members of Parliament.
Job Summary: The Librarian will carry out content management, cataloguing, indexing, abstracting and metadata of the Library’s print and online resources, updating the integrated library system (ILS) and monitoring of the systems for upgrade
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will catalogue, index, classify and abstract ali materials using a standard bibliographic utility, ILS (Koha), classification scheme (DDC), etc
· Responsible for the library systems’ upgrade and implementation, backups, client trouble shooting and monitor the ILS server performance.
· The Librarian will manage the processing of and access to electronic resources (Subscription to e-resources and electronic library using Dspace)
· The incumbent will also coordinate with other sections in order to upload/update and edit information on the Intranet and parliamentary website.
· Maintain integrity of the library databases by distributing and performing database maintenance tasks and improve, establish and document all cataloguing policies and procedures as they relate to format types, collections and general practice.
· Provide library support services as and when required
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the Librarian vacancy must hold an Honours Bachelor's Degree in Library and Information Science or Information Science from a recognized University/Institution
· Extensive knowledge of library tools, systems and resources in legislative libraries.
· Comprehensive knowledge of metadata standards, communication standards, and classification systems.
· Ability to manage and use an integrated library Systems e.g. Koha, and Dspace
· Proficiency in computer applications, including database systems packages, Windows packages and Internet.
· Excellent communication, interpersonal, custom care skills and , teamwork
· Age: 21 years and above
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified Ugandans are encouraged to send updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) stating two referees; and certified copies of their academic certificates and transcripts. The applications should be addressed to the Secretary, Parliamentary Commission and posted to P.O. Box 7178 Kampala; or hand delivered to the Parliamentary Registry - Parliament Buildings, Room 112, 1st Floor, South Wing; Parliament of Uganda.
Deadline: Friday 2nd December, 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline