Job Title: Communications Officer
Organisation: Lutheran World Relief (LWR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Lutheran World Relief is a US non-profit organization that works with local partners to provide lasting solutions to poverty, injustice and human suffering. LWF Uganda works to reduce people’s vulnerability, supporting them to realize their potential, to build on their assets, and to respond to their own problems and needs. LWF Uganda currently has five areas of operation in Pader, Kitgum, Adjumani, Katakwi, Sembabule, Kampala and Kamwenge Districts.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will support and maintain internal and external communications with project collaborators, implementing agencies, service providers and assist to execute the communications strategy, maintain project documentation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Produce high quality, compelling and issues-oriented publicity materials (web-based, electronic, print, photo and video content) for effective partners and public engagement.
· Develop and maintain media contacts, pitch compelling content and position LWF Uganda in influential media outlets in the national.
· The incumbent will also produce rapid information and compelling needs and impact-focused content for Partnership communications and marketing for humanitarian and development response.
· Prepare written materials, internal newsletters, presentation materials and other communications products.
· Develop and publish digital content for LWF web and social media platforms that engage audiences. Identification and analysis of available and required knowledge assets and processes, so as to fulfill organizational objectives of continuous learning and quality performance.
· Support Knowledge management in the organization. Ensure the documentation, archiving and protection of the organizational intellectual and knowledge-based
Advisory, Planning and Capacity Building:
· Provide communications advice including crafting of relevant messages and use of the right media
· Build relationships and connections utilizing various channels for information sharing, learning, influence to help shape and advance the communications agenda
· Develop strategic solutions to given communications challenges.
· In charge of the conceptualization of video productions with Videographer
· Facilitate training on communications skills for staff; Communications for development.
· Train and position approved media spokespersons to respond to media inquiries and achieve positive coverage for LWF Uganda.
· Keenly review publications and external engagement materials for alignment to LWF Uganda quality and brand.
· Prepare timely and quality reports as required
· Identify story concepts, host and accompany Management, donor or VIP visits to ensure compliance to the Code of Conducts, maximizing positive impact for all stake holders
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Lutheran World Relief (LWR) Communications Officer
· job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Communications/ Journalism or other relevant training from a recognized university or college.
· At least two years of professional experience in journalism or public relations is preferred.
· Excellent command in communication oral and writing skills; ability to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting and motivating manner
· Possess good photography skills.
· Competent in new digital platforms and devices and traditional office applications (Word, Publishers, PowerPoint, excel, Google docs)
· Proven analytical, problem solving skills and ability to work with minimum supervision.
· Thorough knowledge of the communication and media industry with strong media links
· Proven experience in social media engagement.
· Ability to achieve results working in a multi-cultural organization, including leveraging differences and addressing diversity issues for improved team effectiveness
· Demonstrate creativity and embrace innovation in the work environment to improve and evolve processes
· Highly creative and a team player.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications (One page cover letter, explaining the candidate’s suitability for the position and an updated Curriculum vitae, CV), with the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees and send via Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Office of Administration/Human Resources.
NB: Please do not include certificates for education, trainings, etc. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Deadline: 24th November, 2016 by 4:00 pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline