Job Title: Associate Attorney
Organization: International Justice Mission (IJM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IJM Staff Attorney
The International Justice Mission is a global organization that protects the poor from violence throughout the developing world. International Justice Mission partners with local authorities to rescue victims of violence, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen justice systems. The International Justice Mission (IJM) Uganda is working to eliminate property grabbing in Uganda by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators, and transformation to the public justice system as a whole.
Job Summary: Associate Attorney will have the opportunity to bring substantive relief to widows and orphans victimized by property grabbing by intervening in individual cases of violence, deception, and abuse; supporting the Director of Public Prosecutions to charge and prosecute perpetrators; and informing efforts to strengthen the public justice system.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Casework Intervention and Support:
· Offer support in evaluating, developing, and implementing intervention strategies for IJM cases.
· Support and encourage State Attorneys in the prosecution of property grabbing perpetrators.
· Assist with mediations, negotiations, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
· Carry out case intake and client screening based on established criteria.
· Conduct legal research, writing, and filing on behalf of IJM clients or as directed.
· Keenly track case related data in paper and electronic case tracking management systems.
· Support IJM clients to obtain Letters of Administration, complete property transfers, and effectuate property distributions.
· Work closely with and pursue action from government offices (Lands Registry, Administrator General, etc).
· Coordinate meetings with relevant parties, attorneys and power actors.
· Coordinate with IJM Investigators to investigate allegations of property grabbing and ensure all evidence is collected in an admissible form.
· Cooperate with IJM Aftercare Specialists in identifying psychosocial needs of victims.
· Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers.
· Actively participate in IJM programs in professionalism and Christian spiritual formation.
· Maintain Practicing Certificate and participate in CLEs relevant to IJM’s casework.
· Perform any other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a Bachelor’s Degree in law, successful completion of LDC and current Practicing Certificate.
· At least two years’ experience as a practicing attorney or legal assistant preferred.
· Excellent critical thinking, legal analysis, and oral and written advocacy skills.
· Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, and Excel.
· Experience in land transactions, succession matters, or criminal litigation preferred.
· Driver’s License preferred.
· Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed.
· Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values.
· Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication.
· Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude.
· Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity.
· Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver.
· Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply online at the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline