Job Title: Financial Controller-TVET
Organisation: Belgian Development Agency (BTC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Belgian Development Agency, BTC, mobilises its resources and its expertise to eliminate poverty in the world. BTC contributes to the efforts of the international community and works towards a society that provides present and future generations with sufficient resources to build a sustainable and fair world. BTC currently supports more than 200 cooperation projects and programmes in 18 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. In the future, BTC’s efforts will focus on 14 partner countries as a result of a decision made by the Minister of Development Cooperation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Budgeting and financial planning:
· Ensure proper control of the budget and its commitments;
· Provide all necessary accounting data and information to the Managers and Finance and Contracting Co-ordinators (FCC), to be able to follow up on budget and planning.
· Prepare and submit periodical budget reports, elaboration of budget changes and plans including analyses of activity and general means expenses, with recommendations
· Support the FCC with a variety of tasks: e.g. cost calculations, monthly and weekly financial planning, cost benefit analysis...etc.
· Ensure consolidation and financial reporting towards the partner (TVET partners...)
Cash Management & Administration:
· Regularly monitor cash flow for the project; Supervise entry of expenses in the cash book by cashier;
· Sign payments within a certain threshold
· Have the final responsibility for cash management, and supervision of the persons entrusted with petty cash management: this includes regular cash counts, verification of balance of cashbook and cash-on hand, assistance of cashier in solving imbalances, establishment and signature of cash count statements.
· In charge of sound cash planning and cash withdrawals, so as to avoid cash shortages or large amounts cash in safe (security issue).
Audit and Internal Control:
· Develop and improve a reliable and sound internal control system for Central and Field offices;
· Assist in the preparation of external audits;
· Work out an audit action plan and do a follow up on audit recommendations
· Supervise the financial staff and report to the FCC; this includes monthly field visits with verification of regional accounting, bank reconciliations and cash book of the field staff.
Logistics & Procurement:
· Validate fixed asset register and reconciliation with accounting system;
· Update tender and contract register and follow up of consultancies, contractor contract and stock of stationary;
· Actively participate in the tendering, evaluation, selection, placement and monitoring of contracts;
· Have an up to date knowledge of related procurement legislation for public procurement and grants.
· Ensuring compliance with the Graft Agreements concluded with the partners and effective management of Belgian public funds allocated under the programme;
· Ensure improvement of the partners’ capacity for administrative and financial management and enabling those who need it to become autonomous and absorb the financial support that the programme puts at their disposal
· Follow-up on contracts and agreements with local government and other partners;
· Assure a correct human resource management for local staff (recruitments, contracts, payroll, leaves,);
· Offer technical assistance in building capacity of and support to the central and regional financial staff;
· Assure the continuity of the financial and administration team during the FCC’s absences.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should preferably hold a University Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field;
· A fully qualified member of anyone of the professional Accounting bodies such as CPA, CIMA, ACCA is an asset.
· At least seven years’ experience in finance and administration, preferably in a similar position;
· Four years of proven experience in leading a financial team;
· Previous experience in project management is an asset;
· Proven experience with donors (EU,..) and funds (Grants,...) related matters.
· Proficiency in computer skills in MS Excel, MS Word, and Accounting packages;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Broad knowledge and understanding of Local Governments, International Organizations and NGOs.
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
· Team management orientation;
· Concern for standards and attention to details;
· Able to work independently and under stressful conditions (Endurance);
· Proactive work ethics and ability to take initiative;
· Able to lead and develop others.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join Belgian Development Agency (BTC) in this capacity are encouraged to apply online by sending your application letter and resume, plus copies of academic and professional qualification certificates as well as at least three recent professional references to the Resident Representative, BTC, P.O. Box 40131, Kampala-Uganda, or hand deliver to: Lower Kololo Terrace, Plot 1B.
Deadline: 11th November, 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline