Job Title: Finance Officer
Organisation: African Prisons Project (APP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Manager
The African Prisons Project is an international non-profit organization that works to restore dignity and hope to prisoners across Africa. APP works holistically to change the way that criminal justice issues are addressed in the countries in which we work and empower prisoners to drive positive change. We work with Prison Service leaders who wish to develop services and policies in line with our mission and welcome our support. We pursue these changes in a two pronged approach. Firstly, by focusing on rising stars and senior management of the prison services, providing them with the skills needed to reform and improve prison systems. Secondly, by providing scholarships and training to prisoners and prisons staff pursuing legal degrees or diplomas through distance learning programmes, to support them act as educators and legal advisers to prisoners and to then take this knowledge of the law to the poorest communities upon release.
Job Summary: The Finance Officer will provide support in the financial functions for Uganda Office including, Financial duties which ensure that the organisation maintains a robust and transparent status.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure all requisitions, payment vouchers are prepared accurately in a timely manner and are reconciled to the budgeted payments.
· Book keeping including:
o Assist in the preparation of monthly statements
o Assist in updating and maintaining of all grants budgets and financial reports on monthly, Quarterly and Annually
o Picking and delivery of APP’s documents to and from the bank
· Assist on transfer of Kenya Office cash funds and ensure intercountry account is reconciled; investigate differences and report exceptions; ensure that agreed procedure is followed.
· Statutory tax payments including PAYE,NSSF ,WHT, Local Service Tax among others
· In charge of petty cash management
· Timely Payment processing within budget lines
· Proper filling of finance documents
· Assist in ensuring a proper procurement system in place and ensure that this system is followed.
· Updating the Asset Register
· Ensure that inter-country accounts are reconciled, investigate differences and report exceptions or discrepancies; and ensure agreed protocols and procedures are followed.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant for the African Prisons Project (APP) Finance Officer job placement should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree in accountancy or commerce or a related field
· At least one completed CPA paper, though more than one will be an added advantage.
· At least three years as an accounts assistant or accountant of finance officer in a busy
· Advanced oral and writing skills, and an ability to present information and arguments clearly; excellent interpersonal skills; IT skills appropriate to an office or NGO (field) environment.
· Experience in dealing with government officials and an ability to work consultatively within democratic structures; sympathy with the aims, objectives and academic values at the highest levels having a commitment to the highest possible standards
· Proven ability to take initiatives in developing relationships, initiatives and options for action that might benefit the charities academic aims
· Excellent interpersonal skills (e.g.; communication, self-awareness, building trust, questioning and listening, influencing, assertiveness, problem solving, decision making)
· Good Numerical ability and literate
· Excellent organisational skills
· Attention to detail
· Excellent knowledge of Quickbooks and excel is an added advantage.
· Disposition and characteristics relevant to the job.
· Able to prioritise
· Able to work to deadlines
· Able to work on own initiative
· Pro-active Team Worker
· Keep the highest level of integrity.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send an updated CV and covering letter to Peter R. Tibigambwa, Country Director, African Prisons Project via E-mail to, firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB: Please do not apply unless you have the right qualifications and experience. This role will be popular and we will only be reviewing applicants who send us their CV and covering letter which are no more 3 pages long. We do not need to see certificates and references at this stage.
Deadline: 25th November, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline