Job Title: Finance Manager
Reports to: Head of East Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary Range: UGX 7,982,531 – 10,358,540 gross per month
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with local people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security. We do this by supporting effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. We have a strong thematic focus to our conflict prevention work prioritising: people’s security and access to justice services; gender norms that cause and perpetuate violent conflict; the impact of external conflict drivers including weapons flows; conflict-sensitive political, economic, development, and security engagement; and inclusive and accountable governance and peacebuilding processes.
Job Summary: The Finance Manager will be responsible for ensuring the efficient and transparent management of finances for programmes in the region in line with recognised accounting/auditing standards and Saferworld procedures. The Finance Manager will be responsible for ensuring the efficient and transparent management of the Kampala office and regional programmes’ finances in line with recognised accounting/auditing standards and Saferworld procedures, in the context of fast growing programmes. The Finance Manager will also be responsible for the development of new systems, including the systems of key partner organisations, and the maintenance of robust financial controls to support this growth.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Lead in financial management and systems development. Provide effective line management and support the development of financial staff for the Kampala office.
· Manage Kampala-based finance team (currently one finance officer) and provide technical oversight of one field office-based finance staff member responsible for keeping financial records and performing financial procedures (receipts, payments, petty cash, payroll), including records of transactions related to programme activities
· Lead development and maintenance of robust financial controls (bank reconciliations and other control accounts, finance reports, etc.)
· Lead in ensuring efficient, effective and accurate data entry into the Sun and Quick Books accounting system, leading improvement and system enhancement work and ensuring good housekeeping.
· Lead financial reporting to Saferworld colleagues, donors and London head office with a focus on optimal performance management
· Assist and support Country Managers in ensuring that field expenditures meet Saferworld and institutional donor requirements and remain within the approved plans and budgets
· Assist and support Country Managers in the preparation of budgets for project proposals
· Manage Kampala office payroll
· Effectively organise and manage internal and external audits, as per donor policies where appropriate
· Produce statutory (legal) accounts and other returns
· Take lead in ensuring strict compliance to financial policies and guidelines, the post holder will update, disseminate and appraise staff and partners on all such policies either at induction or as part of strengthening capacity and good practice
Lead in developing capacity support and collaborative relationships with Saferworld staff and partners to ensure effective financial management across the board
· Build strong relationships with all Saferworld colleagues and partners to enhance their understanding of finance and build their knowledge on day-to-day financial reporting and accounting
· Build strong relationships with, and provide training and ongoing support to partner organisations so that they effectively and transparently manage their funds
· Offer support with performance management and capacity building of staff and partners
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Saferworld Finance Manager job opportunity should hold a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject (Economics/Accounting/Finance or Business Administration or compensating relevant work experience.
· Recognised accounting qualification (CIMA, ACCA, etc)
· A minimum of five years’ experience in financial management/administration within a non-governmental organisation (NGO)
· Previous experience of computerised accounting software and an aptitude for system improvements and developments
· Prior exposure and experience of managing donor finances and grants
· Previous experience of developing and improving financial systems in a way that is appropriate for the specific programmes in place
· Prior experience of management reporting to colleagues, including overseas colleague and offices
· Experience of management financial reporting
· Experience of working in or on difficult, complex conflict-affected and post-conflict environments
· Previous exposure and experience of conducting capacity-building for partners and staff on financial systems, good financial practices, building a coaching culture, group and individual training on IT systems and financial processes
· Computer literacy i.e. experience of using QuickBooks and Sun system software’s will be an added advantage
· Eligibility to live and work in Uganda
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a complete application form, download here and send to email@example.com (please use subject heading: UGFM)
Deadline: 27th November 2016 by 5pm (Uganda time)
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline