Job Title: Financial Reporting Officer
Organisation: United Bank for Africa Uganda (UBA)
Reports to: Chief Finance Officer
Duty Station: Kampala, Head Office, Uganda
United Bank for Africa (Uganda) is a commercial bank that focuses on the individual customer, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), as well as large corporations. The Nigeria-based parent company United Bank for Africa Plc., started operations in Uganda with a capital base of US$12 million. The bank’ s entry into the Ugandan market along with other regional heavyweights including Kenya Commercial Bank and Ecobank Transnational, energized the country's financial sector, increasing competition, resulting in improved customer service across the board.
Job Summary: The Financial Reporting Officer will support UBA in the following:
· Ensure accuracy of entries into all of the company’s financial accounts, including portfolio and mutual fund accounts.
· Manage the planning and the performance management process at UBA Uganda
· Actively facilitate strategic planning through preparation of financial forecasts based on UBA’s business strategy
· Overall management, co-ordination and preparation of the annual budget and periodic revised estimates.
· Performance management through analysis, review and preparation of periodic financial reports
· Provide UBA leadership, management information to support decision making.
· Ensure Strategic Business Units (SBUs) are provided with adequate performance management information
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Financial Reporting Aspects (90%)
· Ensure the overall integrity and accuracy of the General Ledger as a basis for the preparation of Financial and Management Reporting
· Support the CFO on all matters relating to the operation of the finance department that includes, financial reporting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, reconciliations and overall financial discipline.
· Act as the custodian of the General Ledger, Chart of Accounts, and the central repository for all Financial and Management information for the Bank.
· Ensuring that all internal and external reporting requirements are timeously met, including preparation of monthly and quarterly accounts, Group Accounts, quarterly press releases and Statutory Annual Financial Statements.
· Being the custodian of the General Ledger, Chart of Accounts, and the repository for all Financial and Management information for the Bank.
· Review of suspense accounts to ensure that these are cleared daily.
· Perform detailed review and analysis of the country numbers to confirm the integrity and resilience of reported results.
· Ensure accurate posting of journals entries on the system.
· Preparation of requisite schedules for the annual audit
· Ensure maintenance of and adherence to UBA Group and UBA Uganda accounting policies and procedures.
· Provision of technical advice and accounting support to other Functional Units
· Keeps and ensures an accurate and complete fixed asset register
· Playing a leading role in coaching and developing his/her team
Financial Planning Aspects (5%)
· Participate in setting the UBA Uganda strategy and objectives.
· Preparation of 3-year rolling forecast by taking the ideas and strategy and translating them into meaningful financial information such as profitability, balance sheet growth, growth impacts, and capital requirements.
· Preparation of key macro and micro assumptions for input into the planning and budgeting process.
· Overall management, co-ordination and preparation of the annual business plan, capital expenditure, operating budget and periodic revised estimates
· Challenge the plans of business units and integrate those plans into the UBA plan.
Performance Management (5%)
· Develop and implement reporting of key management information (MI) ensuring data integrity and timely communication to relevant stakeholders.
· Develop performance benchmarks for business units and UBA and monitor performance against these.
· Drive the required business analysis and related process for making recommendations for new or improving performance opportunities.
· Manage performance against the budget for each business units and UBA Uganda as a whole.
· Discuss, plan, and monitor interventions to keep the business units on budget
· Providing detailed monthly performance statements (MPR) and analysis for business units, and UBA Uganda as a whole.
· Investigation of variances and recommending remedial measures where necessary
· Identify areas of performance shortfall and propose corrective interventions to UBA Uganda management team.
· Preparing finance’s input for Board papers detailing and analysing actual performance against budget
· Preparing SBU performance statements for submission to EXCO and CFO Africa
· Market share and competitive analysis
· Participate in any report compilation, generation and delivery to internal and external customers including regulatory authorities.
· Prepare assigned Group and Bank of Uganda (BoU) reports
· Prepare Reports with finality and precision on strategic positioning
· Review departmental work to meet the check marker requirement
· Serve as secretary to the Performance management meeting (MPR)
Staff Management: Playing a leading role in coaching, developing and transferring knowledge to the team.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The Financial Reporting Officer must hold professional accountancy qualification
· A minimum of two years of post qualification experience.
· Experience in change management, with ability to positively lead change
· An appreciation and a good understanding of macro economics and external factors affecting the business strategies adopted, and market serviced by UBA.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the importance of planning and budgeting in the bank’s overall business strategy
· Ability to analyse and evaluate data for acceptability and correctness.
· Analytical mind with strong orientation to financial analysis.
· Ability and experience in communicating with all levels of management regarding management information needs.
· Good interpersonal skills required in liaising with people at different levels within the bank.
· Willingness to get involved in detail
· Good planning and organisation skills.
· Strong report writing skills.
· Dynamic self-starter with a personal ambition to succeed.
· Ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
· A person with high integrity.
· Excellent computer skills particularly in MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access, Power Point.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of banking and the underlying key performance drivers
· Previous financial Modeling and data mining experience
· Computer literacy and knowledge of personal computers and software packages such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Access.
· Good communication and presentation skills for information to be consumed at senior level
· Positive thinking
· A dependable team player, and adaptable
· Good written, spoken and interpersonal and skills
· Willingness to learn with a positive attitude
· Should demonstrates traceable academic and professional report writing competencies
· Good listener with easy hands on as a trainer, and apply new skills.
· Ability to learn; and always keen to ensure that tasks are resolved within stipulated time frames.
· Must take work seriously, with sound and accurate judgment in decision making.
· Ability to work unconstrained in order to meet timelines.
· Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
· Keen attention to detail
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications, updated CVs and copies of academic documents to email@example.com
Deadline: 25th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline