Job Title: Director of Programmes
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Country Director
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence. WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
Job Summary: The Director of Programmes will take a leading role in the strategic development of the country programme, ensuring an integrated programme approach that adheres to WaterAid international and WAU standards and policies. The incumbent will take specific responsibility for leading, coordinating, managing and reporting on the design, development and implementation of WAU’s programmes in accordance with WAU Country Strategy objectives and relevant MOUs with Government of Uganda and funding partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Strategic Management:
o With other members of the SMT, take a leading role in providing strategic direction for the WAU programme including the development and implementation of the new country programme strategy for WAU for the next five years.
o Steer the development of new and innovative WAU programmes, operating at international aid delivery standards, to deliver equitable, inclusive and sustainable WASH services.
· Programme Planning and Management: Lead in high quality programme development through appropriate Project Concept Notes, Proposals and associated budgets, ensuring adherence to WAU programme Cycle Management Procedures, global policies & procedures.
· Donor Compliance and Reporting: Work in close collaboration with the Fundraising and strategy unit, ensure effective compliance with funding agreements through translated proposal documents, start-of-project workshops and training on donor guidelines
· Financial Management & Systems:
o Review programme budgets and ensure appropriateness and alignment with donor regulations and project budgets.
o Work in liaison with Director of Finance and the assigned programme budget holders for different WAU projects to ensure close management of relevant budgets and expenditures in compliance with donor guidelines and management account feedback
· Coordination & Networking: Support the Country Economist (WASH and Wealth) to develop and use cutting-edge analysis and position papers on relevant WASH or inter-sector issues and other programme-related knowledge piece with national, regional or local level impact to ensure WASH is prioritised as the first step out of poverty and a pivot to Uganda’s strive for MIC status
· Staff Management, Development and Organisation Learning: Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff in management and or technical (programme) areas, including in particular a thorough induction at the start of their contract.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a Masters level qualification in Development Studies, Public Health, WASH, or other related discipline.
· At least twelve years’ experience working in a developing country in a development and/or humanitarian context, with prior experience in senior programme management, including experience in planning, developing and evaluating programmes
· Prior WASH related experience would be an advantage.
· Advanced and proven ability in written and spoken English
· Significant experience of programme design and successful funding proposal development.
· Proven management and communication skills including the ability to motivate, support and mentor staff and to pass on this competency to staff
· Substantive demonstrable experience in support to all phases of the monitoring and evaluation process, including the design and implementation of M&E plans, databases and tools, and the analysis and use of data and results to improve programme quality.
· Previous exposure and competence in networking and effective relationship building with peers, donors and government. High level of diplomacy and tact
· Previous exposure and experience in approaches to supporting community participation and accountability with programme design and implementation.
· Prior experience of capacity building with partner organisations and government
· Specific experience in managing WASH programmes
· Previous exposure and experience with gender, equality, Climate change mainstreaming
· Skills in Digital Data Gathering, statistics and statistical analysis software packages
· Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
· Ability to work to deadlines and under pressure
· Strong proven delegation, time management and prioritising skills.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications with updated curriculum vita including contacts of three professional referees to: The Director Executive Recruitments, Future Options Consulting Ltd, 4th Floor, Diamond Trust Building, Kampala Road, P.O. Box 34934, Kampala, Uganda via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB: Please include the title of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: 10th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline