Job Title: Database Administrator
Organisation: Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development (MOFPED)
Project Name: The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: IPPS Project Manager
The Government of Uganda is implementing the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III) with the primary purpose to strengthen Public Financial Management (PFM) at all levels of government and ensure efficient, effective and accountable use of public resources as a basis for improved service delivery. The overall objective of FINMAP is derived from the GoU PFM reform strategy for the period from July 2014 to June 2018, launched in August 2014. In line with the strategy, FINMAP aims to encourage effective service delivery through reinforcing mechanisms for budget credibility, compliance and control; and to improve financial management practices through implementation of automated financial management systems.
The Integrated Personnel and Payroll System (IPPS) is a computer based Human Resource Management Information System for Government being implemented by Ministry of Public Service (MoPS). The IPPS is responsible for the processing of the Government of Uganda (GoU) Gratuity, monthly Pension and Salary Payrolls and is one of the critical Public Financial Management (PFM) systems aimed at improving efficiency and effectiveness in Human Resource Management processes and governance in the Public Service. The IPPS comprises of Human Resource Management functions from Recruitment to Exit. IPPS is one of the Public Financial Management (PFM) reform programs supported by the Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAPIII) under Ministry of Finance Planning and Economic Development.
Job Summary: The Database Administrator will be responsible for IPPS systems data security and technically supporting and administering the Relational Database Management Systems (RDMS) /Structured Query Language (SQL) at the IPPS Data Centre mainly for the IPPS applications and Electronic Document Management Systems (EDMS) applications.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of developing and reviewing security strategies which define user access to database and application systems as defined by the system owners.
· Defining logical functional and organizational security models for the IPPS.
· Offer technical and functional support in the Rollout of the IPPS implementation to Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) and Local Governments (LGs)
· Business process analysis, mapping, re-engineering, data clean-ups and other systems changes that may be required from time to time.
· Maintaining the availability and integrity of the IPPS and EDMS relational databases through multiple access schemes.
· Responsible for monitoring the IPPS and EDMS relational databases to optimise database performance, resource use, and physical implementations of the databases.
· Addressing various database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues and new applications.
· In charge of monitoring and maintaining IPPS and EDMS databases security and databases software.
· Responsible for designing and providing ad hoc analytical reports, as might be required by administration and generation of exceptions report.
· Developing RDBMS test environments as may be required from time to time.
· Facilitating sharing of common data by overseeing proper key and index management and data dictionary maintenance.
· Monitoring and managing databases backups, logs, and journals together with systematic data restoration and/or recovery procedures as required.
· Responsible for Installation, maintenance and upgrade of databases software.
· Responsible for Installation, maintenance and upgrade of applications software.
· Maintaining various databases related documents such as manuals and programmers handbooks including developing the IPPS user unit tailored manuals, where necessary.
· Developing and implementing measures for the IPPS data clean-ups that may be required.
· May be required to provide 24 hour on-call support for database related issues.
· Maintaining broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
· Providing critical information that may be required by the users from the database in a form usable by GoU/MOPS.
· Restricting or suspending access of user Logon-IDs involved in actual access violations or in potential security breach situations.
· Installing and managing software foe database security analysis and Encrypting data transmissions
· Carry out risk assessments to determine the effectiveness of security measures
· Performing miscellaneous job-related duties as may be required and assigned.
Key Performance Indicators:
· Fully functioning secure database systems, properly integrated with other required systems.
· Proper documentation and operational manuals for the IPPS Databases and Applications.
· Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity procedures.
· Training, capacity building and knowledge transfer.
· Provide adhoc reports
· Monthly performance reports
· Quarterly performance reports
· Annual performance reports
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline
· Specialized Database Administration training and qualifications/certification in common Database Administration skills e.g. Oracle (OCA) certified, MCDBA, is desirable;
· Specialized Database Administration experience, training and qualifications for common enterprise Relational Database Management Systems like Oracle and SQL are a must.
· At least three years’ experience working with an ERP and payroll management of large enterprises.
· Three years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities in database administration in enterprise IT implementations is essential.
· Experience, knowledge and skills of Human Resources Management (HRM) and Electronic Document Management Systems (EDMS) enterprise IT systems solutions, networking, database management, internet and the web based on-line database, or an equivalent combination of experience and training which provides knowledge, abilities, and skills to perform the job.
· Professional ability to handle sensitive information to respect the confidentiality of such information.
· A thorough understanding of the relationship between business processes and IT.
· Ability to implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications.
· Ability to program, configure and maintain complex relational databases.
· Ability to develop and manipulate large, complex data sets.
· Knowledge of computer and/or network systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
· Knowledge of data integrity methods and techniques.
· Ability to perform various tests on computer systems, applications, and hardware.
· Ability to install, maintain, modify, and upgrade database software.
· Technical writing skills.
· Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of expertise.
· Flexible with ability to operate on a scheduled 24-hour on-call basis.
· Excellent inter-personal skills; Output-oriented work habits; and Initiative.
· Good team player, result oriented and must be self driven.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications, updated CVs and copies of academic certificates should be addressed and submitted to the address below. Envelopes should have clear reference to the job applied for. Send to:
The Programme Coordinator,
The Third Financial Management and Accountability Programme (FINMAP III),
Ministry of Finance, Planning & Economic Development Finance Building; 3rd Floor, Room 3.4 Plot 2/12 Apollo Kaggwa Road P 0 Box 8147, Kampala. Uganda.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 9th December 2016 by 17:00hrs
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline