Job Title: Compliance Officer
Organisation: Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Finance and Administration
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 36 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
Job Summary: The Compliance Officer will assist the finance and grant management team in ensuring all DRC Uganda operations are implemented within acceptable DRC and donor guidelines. Be the focal point for DRC Uganda on compliance matters.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The jobholder will implement and maintain testing systems to ensure that all offices are following DRC financial, procurement and administrative policies and accepted accounting principles
· Conduct quarterly internal financial reviews to ensure that DRC and donor guidelines are implemented and followed. This includes but not limited to finance, procurement and administration and involves monthly financial and non-financial transactions/documents reviews and providing feedback to line managers for action
· While using the Compliance Self Checks (CSC), assist DRC Uganda field and country offices in developing recommendations and action points to improve on gaps identified
· Work in close liaison and support from Senior Finance Officer, quality assurance and ensure that finance vouchers from field offices are scanned on time according to guidelines
· In liaison and support from the country HR and Admin coordinator, on monthly basis audit payroll and give quality assurance to HR documents i.e personnel files on a quarterly basis
· Carry out necessary training of finance and non-finance staff to ensure that DRC and donor requirements are met
· Carry out partner capacity assessments. Induct partner organizations in DRC and relevant donor requirements and monitor their performance against such. Conduct partner reviews
· Conduct regular partner internal financial review and propose recommendations for identified gaps.
· Receive and review financial donor reports from budget holders prior to submission to donors.
· Lead on internal and external audits in DRC Uganda.
· Maintain the audit recommendation tracking sheet and ensure timely reminders and follow with managements for implementation of the recommended actions.
· Lead on compliance issues at grants opening and close out meetings throughout Uganda;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Compliance Officer job placement should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
· A minimum of three years relevant experience with an international NGO in grant accounting
· The incumbent must possess broad knowledge in internal audit processes and extensive knowledge in business processes relating to finance, programming, fleet management, monitoring of assets and activities
· Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
· Proven experience working with the major donors, UN, ECHO, NMFA, UN & DANIDA among other donors
· Audit background
· A pro-active person who is able to work independently and at the same time a good team-player
· Excellent computer skills. Proficiency in excel is a key requirement
· Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour
· Proven commitment to accountable practices;
· Fluent in written and spoken English.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, cultural sensitivity, and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
· Proven commitment to accountable practices.
· Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
· Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
· Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
· Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
· Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humour.
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their applications including;
· A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria
· Concise and accurate CV (maximum 4 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
All applications should upload the documents at the link below. Click Here
Deadline: 7th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline