Job Title: Civil Society Strengthening Manager
Organization: Plan International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Operations
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan's vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Job Summary: The Civil Society Strengthening Manager will play a focal role in supporting Plan International Uganda in consolidating its position as a partner of choice, working collaboratively at multiple levels with civil society, government and the private sector. This position provides leadership to Plan International Uganda’s work on strengthening civil society in Uganda and bringing together different development actors to deliver effective programmes at scale. The incumbent will be responsible for leading and guiding Plan International Uganda in designing and building strategic partnership with civil society organizations, at district, national and international levels. The jobholder designs and implements the Partnership Policy Framework and Procedures, ensuring that partnership processes are followed, risk mitigated and relationships managed with equality.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategy, Design and Relationship Building:
· Advises and guide the CMT in ensuring that the Country Strategy is align with new trends on civil society strengthening. Keeps CMT up to date on new legislation on civil society, including NGO Law.
· Formulate strategies, guidelines and tools on CSOs strengthening, partnership management and support teams effectively to ensure that partners work in adherence with Plan International Global standards.
· Work in liaison with the Business Development Unit and develop concept notes and proposals for various funding opportunities in line with the Country Strategy.
· Aligns Plan International Uganda’s work on partnership and CSO strengthening within Plan International Global Partnership Guidelines, Global Programme Strategy and other Plan International Global Standards.
· Ensures that Plan International Uganda maintains a high level engagement with key relevant networks and institutions and advice CMT and National Programme Managers on potential strategic partnerships.
· Build and maintain functional relationships with Plan International Uganda partners that support delivery of project plans and attainment of long term strategic relationships.
· Develop and manage specific tools to guide sub-granting processes to the partners.
Coordinate Partnership management processes:
· Support the processes of partnerships (consortium, subbing and alliance) within the organization through providing support to the staff at all levels.
· Coordinate and provide technical guidance in identification and conducting due diligence assessment with suitable partner organisations for programme implementation.
· Manages the national partnership database with regular updates on partnerships.
· Work in close coordination with the National Programme Managers, develop partnership agreements and ensure they are properly reviewed and approved by relevant parties.
· Ensures that partners have a clear and realistic disbursement schedule and work with Finance and Programme team to avoid late disbursement.
· Guide the National Programme Managers, Programme Unit Manager and Project Managers/coordinators in managing the partner relationships according to Plan International Global Standards and Partnership Guidelines.
· Ensure proper visibility of Plan International Uganda and partners in all project interventions.
· Support Project Managers/Coordinators in conducting programme support supervision of the implementing partners to monitor and review programme implementation.
· Prepare and submit relevant progress, technical and quarterly field visit reports to the relevant stakeholders.
· Render support to ensure adequate and appropriate control measures are in place and effectively implemented to address partnership risks.
· Ensure that Plan International Uganda’s policies, standards and Guidelines including Child Protection Policy, Anti-fraud, Anti-Bribery and corruption Policy and Gender Equality are adhered to by the partners. Manage the controls in place to mitigate the risk on working with partners.
· Mentor and coach Plan International Uganda staff at all levels to ensure they understand Partnership Principles and the organisation’s vision in terms of civil society strengthening.
· Assess the capacity of partners and develops capacity building plans for the partners.
· Coordinate and support implementation of capacity development plans and CSOs strengthening efforts as part of the project deliverables.
· Identify resource people and organizations to deliver relevant trainings for partners.
· Regularly monitors the progress on capacity development for partners.
Research, Evaluation and Reporting:
· Stay abreast with the new approaches and trends in civil society strengthening and engagement at district and national level to optimize Plan International Uganda CSOs Strengthening and Partnership programming.
· Contribute in evaluation designing and process wherever required.
· Use research, evaluation and reviews findings (internal and external) for the enrichment of programme design and quality.
· Review project/program report and provide input and write quarterly and annual country programme progress report.
· On an ongoing basis, work with the Monitoring, Evaluation Research and Programme teams to document ‘best practices’ and ‘lessons learned’ on partnerships in Plan International Uganda programmes and disseminate these among staff and partners.
· Propose research initiatives on civil society strengthening.
· Conduct annual partner reviews and assessments.
Advocacy, Networking and Representation:
· Ensure advocacy on civil society strengthening and engagement at different government levels and at civil society actors in wider context.
· Support in advocacy efforts by Plan International Uganda and other actors to address issues of CSOs are addressed and an enabling environment is created for CSOs.
· Active engagement of CSOs and capacity building interventions for key stakeholders for sharing Plan International Uganda’s approaches and work with wider sector.
· In charge of networking and coordination with other like-minded organizations, networks, alliances and forums for advocacy, CSO capacity building and partnerships development.
· Represents Plan International Uganda in various forums and networks and build relationship with government and nongovernment institutions at district, regional and provincial level for effective sharing of learning’s and complementation of technical and financial resources.
· Coordinate with cross-cutting and programme themes and ensure integration of civil society strengthening and partnerships standards within broader programme thematic areas and CCCD operational standards.
· Facilitate partners in programme integration and building synergy with Plan International Uganda’s programmes.
· Ensure and contribute in programme integration at all levels
Dealing with Problems:
· Strategic guidance and implementation support to multiple projects with strong coordination with CO teams, programme team and Programme Unit Managers (PUMs) and in different locations.
· Integration of civil society strengthening interventions with other technical issues and grant opportunities to overcome funding gaps.
· Develop innovative programme concepts, interventions and models that can be easily replicated and shared with local organizations.
· Mainstreaming Civil Society Strengthening on the job practices and orientation of staff and partners.
· Partnership building and management, as well as capacity development of partners.
· Risk management.
Child Protection Policy Responsibilities (mandatory for all staff):
· Adhere to the Child Protection Policy, Code of Conduct and reporting any CPP issues.
· Responsible for the implementation of the CPP standards as they apply to area of responsibility plus the development of actions to address identified gaps and monitoring their effectiveness.
· Ensure that all Plan International partners, visitors and associates in his/her area of responsibility are provided with, are made aware off and have signed and returned a copy of the child protection policy. Inform the partners, visitors and associates that they must comply with the policy in all contacts and communications with children during their visit.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Plan International Civil Society Strengthening Manager career placement should hold a Master’s degree in international relations, development studies, business, law, or other relevant international development field.
· At least five years’ experience in setting and managing partnerships, including: project management, advocacy, network and coalition building, capacity building of civil society organizations.
· Previous experience in building the capacity of local organizations and knowledge of capacity development methodologies.
· Broad knowledge and experience in grants, sub-contracting grant mechanisms preferably in donor-funded programs in the human rights sector
· Demonstrated knowledge of multi-donor reporting regulations and reporting requirements.
· Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of relevant CSO networks and organizations in Uganda.
· Proven ability to collaborate and form alliances both within civil society and between civil society and the private sector, professional associations, religious communities and government at local and national levels.
· Experience in supporting CSOs, including capacity building and understanding the characteristics of CSOs at different levels.
· Excellent partnership management and team leadership skills
· Previous experience in developing partnership strategies, manuals and tools for capacity development of partners
· Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication (verbal and written) skills.
· Knowledge in implementation of rights based programming.
· Demonstrated skill and experience in report writing. Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and work cooperatively with partners
· Ability to work with people from diverse cultures, ability to lead and motivate people to work in teams.
· Ability to develop synergies and integration of different project.
· Demonstrated ability of working in different partnership.
· Proven computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft software including MS Word processing, Power point presentation, Excel spreadsheets, e-mail and web based research
· Shows commitment and understanding to always act in the best interest of the child and respect to human rights.
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Plan International values, striving for lasting impact.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity, capacity to include and empower others.
· Comfortable working with others, as part of a team or as a team leader. Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters; approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
· Thinks strategically, reflects about achievements and recognizes people’s contribution.
· Promotes a culture of learning and sharing.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 6th December, 2016
NB: Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 28th February 2017
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline