Organisation: Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS UK)
Reports to: Deputy Country Director Programmes
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS UK) is a UK-based charity with a mission ‘to unlock the potential of Africa by expanding access to affordable quality secondary education.’ We run the fastest growing network of sustainably financed secondary schools in Africa. We currently have a network of 24 schools across Uganda and Zambia, educating around 13,000 students. PEAS is supported by major corporate, government and private funders and our innovative financial model is pioneering in the field of public private partnerships in development education.
Job Summary: The Child Protection and Community Engagement Manager ensures that good practices in Child Protection and Participation are operationalized across the PEAS Uganda network and Child Protection concerns are appropriately reported, recorded and responded to. The incumbent will also provide specialist knowledge on Child Protection & Participation, Safeguarding, inclusive education and Community engagement initiatives. The incumbent will ensure that best-practice in child protection-responsive practice is demonstrated across the PEAS network of schools and the PEAS Uganda operates in a gender sensitive manner. The incumbent will provide leadership and guidance to PEAS secretariat staff, regional offices and schools to implement strong Gender, Child protection and Community Engagement initiatives
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· In charge of mainstreaming PEAS Child Protection (CP) policy and gender- issues across the PEAS Network
· Responsible for Child Protection (CP) case management for PEAS Uganda
· Providing Specialist Child Protection & Participation, Inclusive education and Gender knowledge to critical stakeholders.
· Leading strategy development on Child Protection, Gender and Community engagement
· Serving as the focal point person and the first line of call on matters related CP, gender and Schools- community relations
· Building capacity of staff especially at the region to implement effective and cost efficient community engagement campaigns geared towards enrollment and school retention of poorer and excluded child.
· Developing work tools and approaches for CP/CE work.
· Streamlining process like reporting and follow up on incidence.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold a graduate degree in social work, sociology or similar relevant social science. Possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant field shall be an added advantage.
· At least four years of post-qualification experience working with children and in depth knowledge of legislation and good practice relating to these groups
· Four years of managerial experience of which two years are working in child protection program implementation environments.
· Proven experience supervising and providing case management services, representation and liaison with external parties, and establishing alternative care arrangement and mentoring strategies.
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Strong negotiation and problem solving skills
· Effective management and capacity building of teams.
· Previous experience working in a Child Protection related role in schools, government or development sector
· Experience and knowledge of child rights, psychosocial and gender issues
· Experience in designing and delivering training and capacity building
· Experience in dealing with alleged cases of child abuse,
· Experience in implementing projects designed to reduce the risk of child abuse or discrimination.
How to Apply:
All candidates must send their applications (paying particular attention to the person specification) and curriculum vita to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Plot 2881, Block 216, Ntinda Kisaasi,
Mumbejja Road opposite Ndere Centre.
P. O. Box 23308, Kampala, Uganda.
OR Send your Application and CV only to: email: email@example.com
NB: Please include all portions of your application in one attached document as a PDF document, and use “Child Protection/Community Engagement Manager” as the subject of your email.
Deadline: 5th December 2016 by 5.00pm.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline