Job Title: Advocacy & Communications Manager
Organisation: Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Group Chief Executive (GCEO)
Job Ref No: CM001
The Agricultural Business Initiative (aBi), a group of registered companies namely aBi Trust and aBi Finance Ltd, is a multi-stakeholder entity co-founded in July 2010 by the Governments of Uganda and Denmark through DANIDA and the Ministry of Finance, Planning and Economic Development respectively, with the objective to promote “Private sector agribusiness development to enhance wealth creation.” The development objective of the aBi Trust is building a self-sustaining export-led economy in which the benefits are shared by all Ugandans, and its immediate objective is to strengthen the competitiveness of Uganda’s agricultural and agro-processing sector. It does this through Value Chain Development (VCD) of six value chains (Coffee, Cereals, Pulses, Horticulture, Dairy and Oil Seeds) and Financial Services Development (FSD).
Job Summary: The Advocacy & Communications Manager leads the aBi team in developing and implementing a communication strategy that Is effective in influencing key stakeholders to support the development of agribusiness in Uganda; this includes managing Relationships with a wide range of stakeholders and supporting aBi’s role as a “knowledge centre” for agribusiness excellence in Uganda/EA region. The Advocacy & Communications Manager is primarily responsible for achieving the goal of aBi’s communications plan: To position Agricultural Business Initiative as a leader in the provision of financial solutions to value chain actors in Uganda. By consistently engaging stakeholders and the media with content that informs, influences and shapes public discourse.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop and manage aBi’s agricultural sector and stakeholder research activities; ensuring that the results are suitable to inform the development of program strategy and the communications plan:
· Take charge of the developing and agreeing aBi’s ‘market’ research agenda.
· Conduct market analysis and other research projects aimed at ensuring full understanding of the agribusiness sector and the enabling environment.
· Carry out stakeholder analysis to determine the institutions and key influencers who control / are most impactful in the agribusiness sector and identify levers for change.
· Evaluate the effectiveness of communication strategies in driving achievement of the organisation strategy.
Take lead of the ongoing development and implementation of aBi’s Advocacy and Communication plan, ensuring it serves the purpose of supporting aBi to achieve its objectives.
· Work closely with aBi colleagues so as to ensure the communication plan supports their needs for influencing.
· Build and sustain a strong brand and profile for aBi aimed at generating buy-in for the organization’s business models and approaches among its key stakeholders.
· Commission consultants and suppliers in the roll out of communication activities that result in effective implementation.
· Regularly monitor the implementation of the communication plan against communication strategy performance indicators (at organisation level).
· Oversee the budget and financial management of the Communications Department; ensuring compliance with aBi’s policies and procedures.
Actively promote policy and practice reforms and become the leading voice in championing for evidence-based, business-driven, agribusiness-led development in Uganda
· Steer the identification of relevant advocacy platforms at the national level to position the achievement and resourcefulness (capacity, capability) of aBi.
· Formulate action plans for specific initiatives that would generate stakeholders’ participation, aiming at building relevant platforms and channels for their voices to be heard and for policy influencing.
· Build and manage strategic relationships and partnerships with major key stakeholders (government officials, partners, professional associations, media, etc.)
· Represent aBi and advocate with policy makers and decision takers at national level
Take lead in the development and dissemination of communication materials and media platforms; ensuring that they communicate and influence effectively
· Commission the production of aBi Publications, case studies, ensuring content reflects work accomplished by aBi
· Steer the preparation and writing of communication literature and other influencing / program related materials
· Commission suppliers/ 3rd parties to support in research, interview, write, edit, proofread and distribute content for electronic and print communication.
· Facilitate knowledge and information sharing/ dissemination of aBi’s work, using the recognised global knowledge network to strengthen capacities of the technical team and implementing partnerships.
· Work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation unit to communicate aBi performance results, lessons learned.
· Identifying conference opportunities ensuring a way that achieves strategic objectives and is impactful
Take lead and manage the Communications team, including consultants, in a manner that empowers them to deliver aBi’s goals and objectives
· Communicate to the Communications Team a clear and exciting vision for the work of the organisation
· For each aspect of the advocacy & communications work plans, ensure that appropriate staff and/or consultants are deployed and given clear expectations.
· Support and build the capacity of team members to enable them to give of their best e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, training, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment.
· Monitor and review performance and, in particular, hold staff accountable for achieving results, meeting standards of excellence and delivering any improvement goals which have been identified; taking decisive action in the case of poor performance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate should preferably hold a bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, or Development Studies
· Possession of Post Graduate Diploma in Development Economics (added advantage)
· At least six to ten years’ post-graduation experience in a Technical Communication Specialist or similar role
· Broad knowledge and understanding of agribusiness management
· Demonstrated strong and relevant experience in communications skills ( strong writing skills)
· Proven track record in developing and implementing Communication and Advocacy strategies including developing key messages for advocacy and lobbying
· Demonstrable skills and experience in using new media (social media) to cause mind-set change
· Significant exposure and experience in the application of knowledge management techniques in both managing and disseminating information
· Ability to effectively manage the production of report and publication
· Proven track record in managing teams and consultants / service providers, including development of terms of reference where required
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should apply online by clicking on link below and following the instructions.
Deadline: 25th November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline