Job Title: Advocacy and Communications Manager
Organization: Plan International
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children’s development organizations (non-profit / INGOs) in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan's vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Job Summary: The Advocacy and Communications Manager is responsible for leading the implementation of Plan International Uganda Advocacy and Communication strategies by taking an integrated approach to policy change, campaigning and communications. The position ensures excellence in Plan International’s internal and external advocacy, media and communications in full alignment with the Country Strategy and Plan International Global Programme Strategy. S/he manages a team of communication and advocacy experts to develop key advocacy messages, defining effective tactics and strategic partnerships, leveraging our brand strength to mobilise support and raise awareness in Uganda and also externally with donors and the whole Plan International federation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead and manage the design and implementation of the Communications and Advocacy Strategies in line with the Country Strategy coordination and engaging with the staff and partners, taking an integrated approach to policy change, campaigning and communications.
· Regularly review and update the Communications and Advocacy Strategies as appropriate in response to the global strategy and the evolving country context and programme design.
· Ensure strong linkages between Advocacy, Communications and Programmes so that advocacy is evidence based and programme driven and projects are further strengthened and improved through advocacy.
· Provide high quality line management and staff development, building a strong team and embedding robust planning, implementation reporting and evaluation processes into advocacy and communications work.
· Guide the Country Leadership Team and the Country Management Team on key communication and advocacy issues, which includes developing position papers, managing potential communication risks and leading on a range of cross-organisational priorities and strategies.
· Create relationships, systems and pathways that ensure that the advocacy and communications team is fully integrated into the organisation at all levels, fully realizing our potential for campaigning, income generation, quality, learning and impact reporting.
· Build strategic partnership with organizations and key stakeholders that will assist Plan International Uganda in meeting its policy agenda outcomes.
Advocacy and Policy:
· Develop and ensure implementation of the Advocacy Strategy, in coordination with the Programme team at CO and PUs and partners, aligning with the Regional and Global priorities.
· Support stakeholder identification and mapping to feed into a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy
· Keenly analyse and advise Management on the changing trends and opportunities in the national, regional and global policy landscape.
· Define key advocacy opportunities, targets and tactics at district and national levels and align programme and project design to these targets.
· Ensure that all advocacy messages, documents and strategies are evidence-based, drawn from field experience and assessments and maintain high quality standards.
· Identify research opportunities and policy development, working closely and collaboratively with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Research team and the Programme team to develop high quality analysis, policy briefs, recommendations and positions in relation to Plan International’s advocacy and policy priorities.
Media, Communications and branding:
· In charge of the development and implementation of the Communications Strategy to promote Plan International’s visibility in Uganda, strengthening advocacy, programme effectiveness and fundraising opportunities in coordination with the Country Strategy as well as engaging Plan International wider federation.
· Take lead in the production of high quality, well researched, and well written products (in a variety of mediums). This may include, but not limited to: press releases, speeches, newsletters, annual reports, success stories, tweets, blog and Facebook post, etc.
· Establish a coherent and consistent brand image across Uganda and ensuring all projects are aligned to the Global Plan International Branding Guidelines.
· Responsible for organizing and managing the events calendar, leveraging national and international moments to maximize communications and advocacy opportunities.
· Establish, manage and maintain a cordial and positive relationship with all key media houses and proactively ensure consistent media coverage of events and development programmes.
· Work and manage external consultants as required for the development of agreed outputs.
· Facilitating media interviews and act as spokesperson when required; provide strategic guidance to Senior Management on critical messaging and talking points.
· Support media work and content development on major humanitarian emergencies such as conflicts, food crises and disasters; manage media enquiries and link with relevant spokespersons as appropriate.
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
· Manage Media, Communications and Advocacy teams and providing leadership and technical support as needed, and evaluate and support direct reports regularly.
· Ensure recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and support availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff.
Dealing with Problems:
· This position is critical and very strategic, dealing with diverse demands and pressure from different parts of the organisation to often tight deadlines: Country Office, programme locations, Regional Office, National Office and International Headquarters as well as key stakeholders and partners within country.
· The ability to prioritize and maintain focus while still demonstrating high levels of customer orientation are thus key for this position.
· PR and reputational risk mitigation and building and maintaining cordial relationships with media houses to ensure as well as capacity development of partners and stakeholders on advocacy and communications.
· Maintaining an active profile for Plan International while ensuring strong management of potential media and public advocacy risks.
Child Protection Policy Responsibilities (mandatory for all staff):
· Adhere to the Child Protection Policy, Code of Conduct and reporting any CPP issues.
· Responsible for the implementation of the CPP standards as they apply to area of responsibility plus the development of actions to address identified gaps and monitoring their effectiveness.
· Ensure that all Plan International partners, visitors and associates in his/her area of responsibility are provided with, are made aware off and have signed and returned a copy of the child protection policy. Inform the partners, visitors and associates that they must comply with the policy in all contacts and communications with children during their visit.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Plan International Advocacy and Communications Manager job placement should hold a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, law, international relations, politics or social science. Masters in Communications, Public Relations or Human Rights desired.
· A minimum of five years’ professional experience in Advocacy and/or Communications and working to influence human rights laws, policies and institutions, preferably with NGOs, inter-governmental organisation or governments.
· Comprehensive knowledge of current communication issues and trends, particularly in the humanitarian sector.
· Previous experience of influencing and advocacy work including lobbying, policy development and information provision in humanitarian issues.
· Prior exposure and experience in networking and coordination, planning and implementing campaigns and events that drive influence and stakeholder engagement.
· Excellent skills in advocating towards government officials and understanding of UN and donor operations at country level.
· Good knowledge of how the media and journalists work nationally.
· Proven experience to develop and implement communication and media advocacy strategies
· Demonstrable leadership within a networked environment
· Superior communication and writing skills with the ability to translate complex issues into a level appropriate for the general population and policymakers.
· Excellent analytical, negotiation and problem solving skills.
· Excellent publication skills that include proofreading, copyediting, and knowledge of design/layout and strong visual skills.
· Ability to communicate orally and in writing with a variety of audiences, including community advocates, service providers, members of the public and local officials
· Excellent planning, management and coordination skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities.
· Excellent representation and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people from diverse cultures, ability to lead and motivate people to work in teams.
· Skills in partnership building and management, working through partners.
· Skilled in the use of computer software.
· Skills in working with children and facilitating child participation is desired.
· Shows commitment and understanding to always act in the best interest of the child and respect to human rights.
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Plan International values, striving for lasting impact.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity, capacity to include and empower others.
· Comfortable working with others, as part of a team or as a team leader. Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters; approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions.
· Thinks strategically, reflects about achievements and recognizes people’s contribution.
· Promotes a culture of learning and sharing.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their letters of application, together with updated CVs, contact telephone numbers, copies of relevant certificates, names and contact details of three references plus salary history and send to:
Ag. Country Human Resources Manager,
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 6th December, 2016
NB: Please consider your application unsuccessful in case you do not hear from us by 28th February 2017
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline