Organisation: Parliamentary Commission
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Senior Assistant Editor of Hansard
The Parliamentary Commission of Uganda serves the following functions;
· Appoint, promote and exercise disciplinary control over persons holding public office in Parliament;
· Review the terms and conditions of service, standing orders, training and qualifications of persons holding office in Parliament;
· Provide a Parliamentary reporting service;
· Provide such other staff and facilities as are required to ensure efficient functioning of the Parliament;
· To cause to be prepared in each financial year, estimates of revenue and expenditure for the next financial year; and
· Make recommendations to Parliament, or with the approval of Parliament, determine the allowances payable and privileges available to the Speaker and Members of Parliament.
Job Summary: The Assistant Editor of Hansard will transcribe and edit proceedings of Parliament
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Transcribe tapes and carry out a first edit of parliamentary debates in line with laid down guidelines of editing the Hansard
· Conduct verification/clarification of MPs’ speeches
· Collaborate the Members’ log with transcripts to confirm accuracy
· Submit transcripts for 2nd edit to the Senior Assistant Editor of Hansard
· Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant should hold an Honours Bachelors Degree in either: Mass Communication with editing option; or Communication Studies with editing as a subject; or Arts with Literature and English Language Studies (ELS) studied as subjects, or Arts with Education, majoring in Literature and English Language Studies (ELS) from a recognized University/Institution.
· Good transcribing skills
· Good editing skills.
· Excellent listening, communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to effectively work in a team.
· Age: 21 years and above
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified Ugandans are encouraged to send updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) stating two referees; and certified copies of their academic certificates and transcripts. The applications should be addressed to the Secretary, Parliamentary Commission and posted to P.O. Box 7178 Kampala; or hand delivered to the Parliamentary Registry - Parliament Buildings, Room 112, 1st Floor, South Wing; Parliament of Uganda.
Deadline: Friday 2nd December, 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline