Job Title: Accountant (2 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: Save the Children International
Reports to: Area Manager
Duty Station: Wakiso and Yumbe, Uganda
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organization for children and has program presence in over 120 countries in the world and has been implementing programs for over 90 years. Save the Children envisions a Uganda in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation. Our mission is to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We strive to create impact for children by delivering our Programmes through partnerships, by being innovative, by acting as the voice for and of children, and by achieving results at scale. In Uganda, we implement programmes in six thematic programme areas of Child Protection, Child Rights Governance, Education, Livelihoods & Food Security, Health, Nutrition and HIV/AIDS in development and emergency contexts. Save the Children delivers programs in over 36 districts in the North, Rwenzori, North-Eastern and Central regions of Uganda, Currently, Save the Children has a staff complement of over 240 persons. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. In 2014, we reached over 143 million children through our work around 52m directly and 91 million indirectly around the world.
Job Summary: The Accountant takes overall responsibility for guiding the finance roles in the refugee settlement, ensuring quality assurance and compliance in financial management, providing financial information to management team and budget holders. In addition, provides technical support and inputs to programme planning, budgeting and implementation support to management in reporting, representation, monitoring and evaluation. This being a dual function role, the Officer is also responsible for efficient and careful handling of cash, undertaking approved payments by both cash and cheques and maintaining the cash book up to date and reconciled. In addition the position takes the initiative to ensure that Save the Children funds are used in the best possible way.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Save the Children Accountant vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce, Business Administration or Science in Accounting from a reputable University
· Membership of an Accounting profession such as ACCA or CPA or level 3 completion will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in financial management position and relevant experience supervising and developing the capacity community based institutions in financial management.
· Strong knowledge in external donor reporting for an international NGO, understanding of donors’ financial reporting and budgeting requirements, government tax policies and other statutory requirements.
· Previous experience in all technical areas of logistics operations including procurement, transport/distribution, warehousing, stock, fleet, asset, construction, communications and security management.
· Past exposure and experience of working with local partners and District Local Government in Child Rights Governance, Health, Nutrition, Education, HIV/AIDS or Child Protection is an added advantage.
· Excellent analytical skills and strategic planning abilities.
· Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
· Computer literacy and excellent documentation skills are a must.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
· Ability to intervene with crisis management or troubleshooting as necessary.
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
· Excellent time management and planning capacity.
· Availability and willingness to work extra hours during times of humanitarian responses.
· Willingness to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates are encouraged to send a copy of their updated CVs with a cover letter (attached as one document) indicating three referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors to: email@example.com
· Testimonials/certificates should not be attached to applications
· Hand delivered applications will not be accepted and are therefore not considered during the shortlisting process.
Deadline: 2nd December 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline