Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Project Name: USAID Uganda Health Supply Chain UHSC Project
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Principal Technical Advisor - Appropriate Medicines Use (MSH) and Assistant Commissioner of Health Services, Pharmacy (Ministry of Health
Job ID: 13-9264
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is an international non-profit health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50,countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
About USAID UHSC Project:
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is implementing a USAID-funded project called the Uganda Health Supply Chain, a five year program supporting the Government of Uganda’s health system to improve the availability and accessibility of essential medicines and health supplies (EMHS). The expected results of are to: 1) strengthen national policies and strategies and support cost-effective, equitable, and transparent utilization of EMHS resources; 2) strengthen country capacity for effective management and utilization of EMHS; and 3) increase availability and access of EMHS among priority populations.
Job Summary: The Technical Officer - Appropriate Medicines Use will support activities targeted at improving appropriate medicine use in the newly-established Appropriate Medicines Unit within the Pharmacy Department (PD-AMU), Ministry of Health. Under the guidance of ACHS Pharmacy and the Principal Technical Advisor-AMU, s/he will assist in the design, coordination and implementation of strategies for improving medicines use across different levels of the health system. In particular, s/he will be instrumental in the implementation of interventions at health facility level, e.g. improvement of treatment of priority conditions and support establishment and activity of Hospital Medicines and Therapeutic Committees (MTC).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer support in the dissemination of the Uganda Clinical Guidelines (UCG), Essential Medicines and Health Supplies List (EMHSLU), and Practical Guideline for Dispensing (PGD).
· Actively participate in problem analysis studies and support interventions to improve management of selected priority diseases.
· Support the implementation of strategies to make hospital Medicines and Therapeutic Committees (MTCs) function and make use of Rx Solution consumption and finance information.
· Work closely with Monitoring and Evaluation unit to monitor status of AMU in the country using data from Supervision Performance Assessment Recognition Strategy (SPARS), Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) and other relevant sources of information.
· Investigate AMU problems, design interventions and support health workers to implement agreed strategies.
· Actively participate in all other activities of the AMU unit as requested, including activities to minimize anti-microbial resistance development.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Management Sciences for Health Technical Officer - Appropriate Medicines Use (AMU) job placement must be a medical doctor/nurse with interest and documented experience in Appropriate Medicines Use.
· Possession of a Masters degree in Public Health; or related field is an added advantage.
· A minimum of three years’ experience working in a clinical setting.
· Previous exposure and experience with hospital Medicines and Therapeutic Committees (MTCs) and the use of logistic and financial data to strengthen AMU is an added advantage.
· Knowledge and understanding of the Uganda Public Health System.
· Strong teamwork and team-building skills.
· Strong English skills required, including ability to write technical reports and documents.
· Demonstrated computer skills, including knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Power Point.
· Skills and/or experience in study design and implementation is an added advantage.
· Previous experience in appropriate medicine use assessment and indicators is an added advantage.
· Experience working with USAID-funded projects is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline