Job Title: Programme Coordinator
Organization: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Duty Station: Uganda
Job ID: 5888
Grade Level: NOB
Reports to: Assistant Representative
UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund, is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every birth is safe, and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA expands the possibilities for women and young people to lead healthy and productive lives. Since UNFPA started working in 1969, the number – and rate – of women dying from complications of pregnancy or childbirth has been halved. Families are smaller and healthier. Young people are more connected and empowered than ever before.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Environmental Scanning and Advocacy:
· Assist the district local governments and humanitarian settings in the region to undertake an analysis of the causes of the slow progress in improving results of SRHR,MNH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, gender and population,and design strategies on how to address them.
·Work closely with local media agencies to help publicize UNFPA’s work via media including press releases, articles, documentaries, TV interviews and radios.
· Provide technical support to the development of relevant advocacy and policy documents to address MNH and broader SRHR issues.
· Conduct environmental scanning, on a continuous basis, for Karamoja region and regularly update and advise the Country Office accordingly.
Programme Development and Coordination:
· Support districts and humanitarian settings in Karamoja region in the development of comprehensive SRHR, MNH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, gender and population programmes working closely the Central Government, UN Agencies and other stakeholders.
· Lead and provide technical guidance to the UN convergence areas that are relevant to the UNFPA’s mandate in Karamoja region.
· Significantly contribute to integration ofSRHR, MNH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, and gender and population issues in district programmes and humanitarian settings.
· Arrange and/or facilitate regional coordination meetings forSRHR, MNH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, gender and population issues.
· Actively participate in strengthening capacity of districts and humanitarian settings to improve programming for SRHR, MNH, HIV/AIDS, GBV, gender and population activities.
· Assist the districts and humanitarian settings in developing a sound logistics system especially on commodity forecasting, quantification, storage, distribution and reporting.
· Support districts and humanitarian settings in mainstreaming gender and population issues in their plans.
· Support districts and humanitarian settings in developing/ revising training and other relevant resource materials according to local context.
· Perform any other duties as an IP Manager of all the UNFPA-supported core districts in Karamoja region.
Monitoring and Evaluation:
· Follow-up UNFPA-supported activities in the non-core districts as per the Directly Executed (DEX) workplans; and the core districts in Karamoja region – as the assigned IP Manager and according to the National Executed (NEX) work plans, to ensure their implementation in conformity with the signed agreements.
· Perform quarterly field visits to follow up and monitor UNFPA-supported programmes with due regard to activities being implemented and funds being expended to ensure Value for Money (VfM).
· Support districts and humanitarian settings in conducting quarterly and annual review meetings.
· Participate in the joint programme monitoring and evaluation activities with regard to UNFPA’s mandate.
· Support the implementation of accountability framework for Sexual Reproductive Maternal and New born and Child Health (SRMNCH) based on an agreed scorecard for the districts and humanitarian settings.
· Support the districts and humanitarian settings in data collections, management, analysis, dissemination and use for evidence-based decision making.
· Work closely with district and humanitarian setting to identify resource gaps with regard to UNFPA’s mandate.
· Actively participate in the development of the CO resource mobilization plan and other resource mobilization efforts as per the needs of Karamoja districts and humanitarian settings.
· Provide leadership in demonstrating UNFPA’s work to the Government and development partners to enhance goodwill and partnership.
· Support UNFPA core districts in Karamoja region - as the assigned IP Manager – in preparation and submission of quarterly technical and financial reports (FACEs) to the CO as per the UNFPA guidelines and standards.
· Prepare and submit technical reports to the UNFPA CO on the progress of the MNH convergence support to the districts of Karamoja region.
· Prepare regular analytical and project reports to be shared with Districts, UNFPA CO, United Nations Country Team (UNCT), donors and other relevant stakeholders.
· Actively participate in documentation of lessons learnt, best practices and success stories for deepening the knowledge base and replication.
· Support UNFPA implementing partners in preparation and timely submissions of technical and financial reports in conformity with the signed agreements.
Liaising with Partner Agencies and other Key stakeholders:
· Work closely with exiting District Disaster Management Committees and other relevant local committees to ensure that ICPD agenda is taken into consideration.
· Liaise with other sectors in Karamoja region including security, community development and education to ensure a multi-sectoral approach in programme design.
· Build and maintain a working relationship and constantly share relevant information with UN partner agencies in accordance with the ‘Delivery as One’ model.
· Work with other UN agencies and other relevant stakeholders in resource mobilization efforts – including identification of resource gaps and proposal writing – for joint programmes.
· Work closely with local media agencies to publicize UNFPA’s work via press releases, articles, documentaries, TV interviews, radio; to mention but a few.
Administrative, Supervisory and Representational Roles:
· Represent UNFPA at key events in Karamoja region, with regard to UNFPA’s mandate, including field visits by Government and donors, international days and policy formulation fora.
· Supervise Moroto DO staff including development and monitoring of Performance Appraisal Documents (PADs).
· Track budgetary expenditures for the Moroto DO work plan as per approved Directly Executed (DEX) activities and National Executed (NEX) activities for the assigned implementing partners.
· Ensure all travel undertaken by DO staff complies with all requirements for travel and is approved in line with the travel plan
· Ensure that organizational assets and equipment are maintained and used in line with UNFPA policies and business practice.
· Provide leadership support to staff under Moroto DO including Programme Assistant and Driver.
· Provide leadership in office financial management including petty cash.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNFPA Programme Analyst, Midwifery job opportunity should hold an advanced university degree in Medicine, Population and Reproductive Health, Nursing and Midwifery, public health, demography, social science or other relevant field. A masters’ degree will be an added advantage.
· A minimum of three years’ experience preferably in programme/project management in the public or private sector.
· Previous exposure and experience in Maternal Health and local government systems would be an added advantage.
· Computer skills: Proficiency in current office software applications.
· Languages: Fluency in oral and written English.
· Advocacy/Advancing a policy oriented agenda
· Results-based programme development and management
· Innovation and marketing of new approaches
· Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/Building strategic alliances and partners
· Resource mobilization
· Values: Integrity/Commitment to mandate, Knowledge sharing/Continuous learning, Valuing diversity
· Managing Relationships: Working in teams, Communicating information and ideas, Conflict and self- management
· Working with people: Empowerment/Developing people/Performance management
· Personal Leadership and Effectiveness: Strategic and analytical thinking, Results orientation/Commitment to excellence, Appropriate and transparent decision making.
N.B: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 26th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline