Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Organization: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Coordination Specialist
Job Opening Number: 6477
The United Nations in Uganda has recently completed planning and started implementation of the Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) 2016-2020 in partnership with the Government of Uganda. In line with the call to Delivering as One and with the principles of the Paris Declaration and the Accra Action Plan, the UNDAF is aligned with the objectives of the National Development Plan of Uganda (NDP II) and aims to strengthen a more harmonized and coherent UN assistance in the country. The process leading up to UNDAF 2016-2020 has been a strong demonstration of “Delivering as One”, and the development of One Programme, through 12 Outcome Result groups under the three thematic pillars of the UNDAF. Following the joint planning process, the next step will be to ensure joint reporting, monitoring and evaluation of results under the adopted UNDAF. An M&E framework has been developed for this purpose, under the guidance of the RCO; however, in order to be successful and fully operational, it needs to be put into practice through a Knowledge Management System, which will allow agencies/ORGs to report on and monitor UNDAF results in a coherent and effective way. The development of such a user-friendly electronic Knowledge Management System (KMS) is being undertaken by three external consultants from December 2015 to June 2016.
Job Summary: The Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will support and guide the roll-out and implementation the comprehensive UNDAF M&E framework. A key aim will be to ensure that the new frameworks are developed and implemented in close dialogue with UN agencies, via coordination with the Programme Reference Group, ORGs and the Monitoring & Evaluation Cross-Cutting Group. This would entail tapping into and coordinating existing M&E capacities and resources within UN agencies, facilitating M&E training particularly in relation to the new KMS, gathering feedback, developing further guidelines on M&E under UNDAF 2016-2020, and supervising the team of consultants delivering the KMS. In addition, the M&E Specialist will support the UNCT’s work on SDG data and M&E in partnership with the Government of Uganda. This includes liaising closely with the UN Data Task Force, Pulse Lab Kampala and the SDG Coordination Task Force.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Support the UNCT in the further development and implementation of the UNDAF M&E Framework (IMEP) and related Knowledge Management System tools for reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
· Provide quality assurance for consolidated reports in the Knowledge Management System;
· The jobholder will support the UN M&E Team and Programme Reference Group regular meetings, as may be requested, for overall UNDAF results monitoring at output, outcome and strategic intent levels
· Offer technical support to the design as well as M&E of all UN agencies joint programmes;
· Take the lead in capacity building/training of UN programme staff on UNDAF monitoring, reporting and evaluation;
· Support reviews and evaluations of implementation of UNDAF as well as UN joint programmes as needed;
· Offer timely technical advice and support to the UN Data Task Force and UN SDG Coordination Task Force on supporting the GoU in establishing systems for M&E of SDG implementation;
· Work closely with UN Communications Group to ensure that best practices are identified and communicated; and lessons learned shared, based on monitoring and evaluation results;
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Monitoring and Evaluation Officer career opportunity should hold a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
· At least five years of post Master’s relevant experience at the national and/or international level in monitoring and evaluation, including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing relationships among partners;
·previous experience from monitoring & evaluation of programmes of one or several of the UN agencies in Uganda;
· Prior experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management and knowledge management/M&E systems.
· Design and management of evaluation processes, including with multiple stakeholders;
· Survey design and implementation;
· Social science research;
· Project/programme/policy planning, monitoring and management;
· Understanding of human rights-based approaches to programming;
· Understanding of gender considerations;
· Understanding of Results Based Management (RBM) principles;
· Logic modeling/logical framework analysis;
· Real-time, utilization-focused, joint, summative and formative evaluation;
· Quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
· Rapid assessment procedures;
· Participatory approaches.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
· Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
· Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
· Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the UNDAF Management Framework;
· Encourages UN staff to share knowledge;
· Develops deep understanding in UNDAF, UN System reform and SDGs;
· Ability to lead the implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for UNDAF implementation;
· Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies;
· Focuses on impact and result for the client;
· Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
· Schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course;
· In providing advice to the RCO and UNCT, has the capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues required to resolve problems;
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
· Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
· Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
· Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in the aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 3rd November 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline