Job Title: WASH Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The WASH Officer will work very closely with the Ministry of Water and Irrigation to ensure that local laws are applicable to the designed projects for the camps. The WASH Officer will support the Sector Lead in the development of WASH strategies for the camps including the upcoming challenges of the management of the infrastructure systems on completion. In order to ensure wider reach out to the refugees and ensure their close involvement in the delivery and management of the Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH) services, the incumbent will need to establish an appropriate consultative and monitoring framework which would draw the experience and expertise of a wide range of actors both internally and externally. The WASH officer will be responsible for provision of professional technical support and guidance on activities within the areas of Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH). Furthermore, the incumbent is required to play a lead role in formulating appropriate project proposals and assistance activities that should be incorporated into the relevant operation programmes of UNHCR. The WASH Officer will receive the technical backup and support from the Regional WASH Officer and/or the Senior WASH Officer in HQ.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide technical assistance to UNHCR offices and programmes in the development, integration and mainstreaming of appropriate and cost effective WASH programmes.
· Carry out needs and resource assessments with Governments and partners in order to prioritize needs and activities in provision of services to refugees and others persons of concern to UNHCR.
· Offer support to operations in Uganda to define the level and scope of UNHCR involvement, expressed in terms of overall and operational objectives during emergency situations as well as in care and maintenance and repatriation/reintegration programmes.
· Support operation in Uganda to participate in review and analysis of relevant project proposal and budgetary submissions presented by UNHCR partners.
· Ensure that project plan and proposal submitted to UNHCR for funding adhere to internationally accepted standard.
· The incumbent will maintain and update WASH contingency plan for potential epidemics, refugee and returnee movement.
· Work in a multi-sectorial and coordinated approach in co-operation with Governments, UN agencies, non-Governmental organizations (NGO's) and other humanitarian partners.
· Work in liaison with UNHCR programme, field and protection staff to identify priority WASH and key data requirements for programme planning and monitoring to ensure that minimum UNHCR and international standards are being met.
· Use community-based approaches, including clear involvement of refugees in the hygiene promotion and others sector that are related to WASH.
· Ensure regular update and share information within UNHCR as well as with relevant Government, UN and NGO counterparts and donor communities.
· Regularly monitor and evaluate country-level WASH programmes against standard UNHCR and international indicator to ensure that programmes are evidence-based and implemented in a comprehensive and cost effective manner.
· Make provisions for the installation of WASH services in any new camp or camp extension identified for the settlement of refugees.
· Actively facilitate capacity strengthening activities of UNHCR and its implementing/operational partners to address key areas of WASH importance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
· Build the capacity and competence of UNHCR's Public Health and WASH staff.
· Ensure WASH is adequately addressed in in-house capacity building activities of the agency such as emergency and operations training.
· Prepare, in close coordination with partners and relevant government entities, Operation and Maintenance plans of the infrastructure systems.
· Prepare, in close coordination with partners and relevant government entities, solid waste management plans.
· Perform any other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR WASH Officer career placement should possess a University degree in Water and Sanitation Engineering/Water Resources Development and/or postgraduate degree in one of the Civil Engineering disciplines (Water Supply and/or Hydrology) or Sanitation/Hygiene Engineering.
· At least eight years (6 years with advanced university degree) of relevant work experience.
· A minimum of three years of this experience should be in a capacity directly relevant to the current position in an international humanitarian organisation dealing with large scale emergencies or displaced/refugee situations.
· Ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of WASH.
· Significant experience in organising and conducting training activities and information campaigns in the areas of environmental sanitation, natural resources management, water quality, bore-hole drilling, vector control and appropriate technologies are important elements for this post.
· Proven technical expertise in the area of WASH assessment including surveys, programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination is required.
· Exposure to UNHCR mandate, its priorities and principles.
· Broad knowledge of and experience with local partner agencies with a capacity to provide formal and informal training.
· Proficiency in basic computer software such as MS Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, water modelling software, GIS.
· Previous experience and professional training in one of irrigation, site planning, or shelter with a good understanding of the main issues in the other two sectors. To this end, an advanced degree and additional training in one or more of the above sectors would be useful.
· Applied knowledge in UNHCR programme management, project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards.
· Previous exposure to cluster approach, preferably both at the global policy level and at field level.
· Previous expertise in planning, formulation, implementation, monitoring and reporting on humanitarian operations is an added advantage
· Excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of additional UN languages such as Arabic is desired
· Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
· Communication Level 3
· Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
· Accountability Level 3
· Client & Result Orientation Level 3
· Organizational Awareness Level 3
· Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
· Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
· Managing Performance Level 3
· Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
· Leadership Level 3
· Managing Resources Level 3
· Analytical Thinking Level 3
· Innovation and Creativity Level 3
· Technological Awareness Level 3
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
· Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
· Policy Development & Research Level 3
· Political Awareness Level 3
· Stakeholder Management Level 3
· Planning and Organizing Level 3
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline