Job Title: Livelihoods Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Livelihoods Officer has a key role in the implementation and consolidation of Refugee Livelihoods Strategy and economic and social sensibility are its basic characters. The incumbent should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities, convincing in donor mobilization and able to take initiatives. S/He will provide much needed local knowledge to develop the local livelihoods assets and social infrastructure to develop and sustain Refugee Livelihoods.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· The incumbent will implement the Livelihoods Strategy in an institutional building manner in Adjumani area of operations.
· Responsible for overall management of livelihoods programmes; including designing and applying of specific programmes methodologies, implementation approaches and insuring meeting the livelihoods programmes objectives; in accordance of the livelihoods strategy developed.
· Guide and monitor on-going livelihoods activities/programmes for refugees-in line of UNHCR policies, mainstreaming gender, age and diversity- in order to ensure their timely, and effective implementation.
· Responsible, in cooperation with national government, implementing partners, and UNHCR representative, for designing and implementing a custom-made annual operation plan within the framework of an approved strategy; should it not be at the central level.
· The incumbent will carry out adjustments to livelihoods activities, training components based on the concept notes already developed and develop new training programmes based on the market survey findings and skills in demand in the market.
· Coordinate the implementation of programmes components/activities with national, international NGOs.
· Operating in the field of similar livelihoods programmes in country.
· Build and maintain linkages with national local government as main partner to ensure coordination and joint planning and information sharing for livelihoods strategy.
· Maintain close contacts with partners both in public, private and NGO sector in order to harmonize activities relating to promote livelihoods activities.
· Develop cooperation ties with selected services providers operating i.e. business training teams and bodies, business development services, and micro-finance institutions at country level.
· Organize and manage workshops assessment, group's discussions, seminar, training and counselling sessions on local integration, self-reliance and micro finance with a view to empower the refugees and local host community
· Organize and manage workshops, group¿s discussions, and other participatory assessments to ensure refugee ownership and decision making in planning and implementing specific livelihoods programmes activities and in full coordination with community services.
· Perform any other functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the supervisor in order to meet the level of services in the organization.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Livelihoods Officer career opportunity should possess a University degree (BA) in Social Work, Social Science or related field.
· At least eight years of working experience relevant to the function; of which 2 years should be in an International capacity.
· Applicants that have completed the UNHCR Protection Learning Programme (PLP) and/or the Operations Management Learning Programme (OMLP) have an added advantage
· Previous experience with UNHCR standards and indicators, and/or projects related to the millennium development goals is desired
· Prior UNHCR Field experience.
· Broad knowledge and exposure to the social and cultural values of the region concerned.
· Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language. Proficiency in local language(s) in Adjumani
· Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
· Communication Level 3
· Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
· Accountability Level 3
· Client & Result Orientation Level 3
· Organizational Awareness Level 3
· Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
· Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
· Managing Performance Level 3
· Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
· Leadership Level 3
· Managing Resources Level 3
· Analytical Thinking Level 3
· Innovation and Creativity Level 3
· Technological Awareness Level 3
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
· Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
· Policy Development & Research Level 3
· Political Awareness Level 3
· Stakeholder Management Level 3
· Planning and Organizing Level 3
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline