Job Title: Cash-Based Interventions Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Cash-Based Interventions Officer offers support in planning, implementing, coordinating, monitoring and evaluating cash- based interventions (CBIs) for Persons of Concern. The incumbent ensures that cash and vouchers are routinely considered as a response option in the respective operation or region, are complementary to other types of assistance and are planned, implemented and monitored in line with best practice and organizational guidance. The incumbent plays an important role in promoting capacity-building of UNHCR personnel and partners, and in advocacy, information and communication on cash and voucher-related issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Offer technical support and guidance on all aspects related to CBIs, incl. assessments, planning and budgeting, technical choices, legal and regulatory aspects, implementation modalities and coordination.
· Keenly review and provide technical inputs on reports and programme proposals.
· Offer support in negotiating implementing partner and financial service provider agreements.
· Assist in defining and promoting an integrated vision of providing assistance which incorporates in-kind and cash and/or voucher modalities to meet UNHCR objectives.
· Actively facilitate capacity building and training of programme, protection, ICT, finance/admin, supply/procurement personnel on various aspects of CBIs.
· Offer support to sustain and expand a network of strategic and operational partners (incl. UN agencies, INGOs, research institutions, private entities) to ensure complementarity and efficiency and share lessons learned.
· Advocate with government, donors, etc. on all issues relating to CBIs in the region and contribute to UNHCR's resource mobilization efforts.
· Actively participate and represent UNHCR at coordination meetings and Cash Working Groups and share information of UNHCR's programmes.
· Significantly contribute to the development and implementation of a practicable strategy to institutionalize and scale up the use of CBIs in UNHCR operations throughout the region.
· Offer assistance in the development and dissemination of policies, operational guidance, instructions, tools and analytical frameworks aimed at ensuring the technical integrity of cash-based programmes.
· Develop network of country focal points and CBI programme managers and facilitate their training and capacity building.
· Provide technical support missions across the region and be available for rapid deployment if needed.
· The incumbent will advocate for adequate resourcing of CBIs, including the deployment of qualified technical specialist staff.
· Perform any other related duties.
Key Performance Indicators:
· In collaboration with the country teams and building on on-going programmes and country experience, a multi-sectorial and multi-stakeholder strategy is developed for cash-based response for refugees and hosting populations.
· Technical advice are provided to UNHCR and partner organisations on the implementation of the multi-purpose cash-based response for shelter, non-food, food items and other essential needs, including various steps of the project cycle such as identification, registration, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
· A coherent operational plan is developed concentrating on the systems of targeting, delivery and monitoring of the cash-based assistance.
· Mapping of cash programming actors in the country amongst refugees and refugee hosting communities is done and the cash initiatives are coordinated amongst these populations in country, including cash or voucher-based food assistance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Cash-Based Interventions Officer job placement should possess an advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Economics, Management, Social Sciences, Nutrition or a related field.
· At least six years of relevant (international) job experience with (8 years with University/Bachelor Degree) and at least two years in an inter-governmental organization.
· Proven technical skills in planning and managing cash assistance.
· Demonstrated expertise in feasibility studies, assessments and surveys; needs and response analysis; cash transfer programming, setting up and monitoring of systems.
· Solid skills in analysis, using and presenting quantitative and qualitative data, and report writing.
· Familiarity with community-based and participatory approaches.
· Broad knowledge of key actors involved in developing policies and programmes related to cash-based assistance: International and non-governmental organizations, research institutes.
· Prior work experience in the region is desired
· Inter-agency coordination experience is an added advantage
· Excellent written and spoken English. Arabic language is desired
· Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
· Communication Level 3
· Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
· Accountability Level 3
· Client & Result Orientation Level 3
· Organizational Awareness Level 3
· Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
· Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
· Managing Performance Level 3
· Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
· Leadership Level 3
· Managing Resources Level 3
· Analytical Thinking Level 3
· Innovation and Creativity Level 3
· Technological Awareness Level 3
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
· Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
· Policy Development & Research Level 3
· Political Awareness Level 3
· Stakeholder Management Level 3
· Planning and Organizing Level 3
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline