Job Title: Energy Officer
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Head of Sub-Office
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Energy Officer will work closely with colleagues in related technical sectors including livelihoods, protection, health, community services, shelter, water and sanitation, and gender and age. The incumbent will coordinate and provide technical support to energy interventions, particularly ensuring that energy programmes are in line with the UNHCR Global Strategy for Safe Access to Fuel and Energy. The jobholder will also proactively seek out appropriate energy technologies and approaches, and will reach out to the private sector and development actors and determine how best to incorporate these approaches into UNHCR operations, in consultation with the Energy and Environment Unit in DPSM/OSTS. S/he should identify and participate in regional fora focused on energy solutions. S/he supports and provides guidance to Implementing and Operational Partners, relevant Government ministries, and UN agencies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate energy programme amongst different sectors within UNHCR and between UNHCR, the local authorities and implementing partners.
· Take lead of the baseline assessments and feasibility studies on energy in refugee situations in the country.
· Provide appropriate and timely technical assistance on energy provided to partners and local authorities.
· The incumbent will identify appropriate technologies and approaches to energy, including fuels, renewable energy, stoves, and lighting and powering technologies.
· Support livelihood options and options for related sectors through energy interventions.
· Carry out assessments and evaluations on energy for refugees and establish effective coordination, monitoring and evaluation systems.
· Coordinate the design of energy programmes of the operations, identifying appropriate energy interventions, including alternative/renewable energy sources.
· Work in a cross-sectoral and coordinated approach in cooperation with UN agencies, non-governmental organisations (NGOs), refugee and host communities, and other humanitarian partners.
· Ensure implementation of policies and strategies, including the UNHCR Global Strategy for Safe Access to Fuel and Energy.
· Provide technical support and training on energy to UNHCR and implementing partners.
· Identify appropriate technical partners on energy to support UNHCR.
· Identify technologies and approaches to energy, testing and piloting as necessary, with possibilities of scaling-up and replication.
· Document and draw from good practices and lessons learned for dissemination in collaboration with the Energy and Environment Unit DPSM/OSTS.
· Take charge of the design and implementation of baseline and feasibility studies of energy options in the refugee and environment context, and subsequent impact assessments/evaluations including in areas of overlap with other sectors.
· Supervise the planning, implementation and reporting process on issues related to energy.
· Support the effort in resource mobilization for energy -related activities with emphasis on non-traditional donors.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Energy Officer job opportunity should possess a University degree in a field related to Natural Resource Management, Energy Sciences, Renewable Energy, or Energy Economics/Engineering.
· At least eight years (6 years with advanced university degree), of relevant working experience in energy at professional level, with 3 years in an international capacity, preferably in developing countries.
· Significant experience in energy provision and energy in humanitarian/development settings, planning, and monitoring and evaluation of energy and environment-related projects; demonstrated ability to coordinate and implement projects.
· Ability to apply knowledge from contemporary research in the field of energy, and translate this into humanitarian settings.
· Broad knowledge and understanding of the emerging sustainable and appropriate energy technologies and renewable energy.
· Solid skills in analysis, using and presenting quantitative and qualitative data, and report writing.
· Familiarity with community-based and participatory approaches.
· Strong communication, including written and presentation skills.
· Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), and a statistical programs.
· Project management skills are desired
· Skills and experience in designing and facilitating training programmes will be an added advantage
· Skills and experience in the development of information materials is desired
· Fluency in either French or English, with strong working knowledge in the other.
· Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
· Communication Level 3
· Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
· Accountability Level 3
· Client & Result Orientation Level 3
· Organizational Awareness Level 3
· Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
· Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
· Managing Performance Level 3
· Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
· Leadership Level 3
· Managing Resources Level 3
· Analytical Thinking Level 3
· Innovation and Creativity Level 3
· Technological Awareness Level 3
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 3
· Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
· Policy Development & Research Level 3
· Political Awareness Level 3
· Stakeholder Management Level 3
· Planning and Organizing Level 3
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline