Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Associate Physical Site Planner will work under overall supervision of the Senior Programme Officer, and in coordination with other colleagues in the field, in particular working in protection, health, community services, water and sanitation. In addition to physical planning, the incumbent may also assist with the functions in the areas of shelter, infrastructure, and site selection and construction management support. The incumbent liaises and co-ordinates UNHCR construction related activities within the area of responsibility (AoR), in accordance with UNHCR policies and priorities and maintains contacts with the local officials and implementing partners to discuss and share information on the assessment of infrastructure conditions in refugee-hosting areas.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Coordinate and consolidate UNHCR construction related activities, in accordance with UNHCR policies and priorities.
· Serve as the focal point on all matters related to construction activities amongst different sectors within UNHCR and between UNHCR and Partners.
· Assess infrastructure conditions in refugee-hosting areas and assess how and to what extend those conditions are effected by the presence of refugees.
· Plan, design and coordinate refugee camp layouts.
· Update existing refugee camps to match the existing situation.
· Supervise and monitor the implementation of construction projects administered by UNHCR under AoR.
· Prepare an submit consolidated reports on construction related activities of sites within the AoR.
· Build and maintain liaison with specialized institutions, NGOs, bilateral and multilateral agencies, donors and other institutions to enhance technical activities in the related areas implemented in the locations under the AoR.
· Perform other duties, as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Associate Site Planner career placement should possess a University degree in one of the civil engineering disciplines with courses on physical planning construction management, infrastructure development or any other related subjects.
· At least four years of relevant professional working experience (2 years with advanced university degree).
· Good knowledge of basic computer softwares, including engineering design tools.
· Previous exposure and experience in all disciplines of civil engineering, rural settlement development, emergency management and environmental planning, and ability making the linkages to rehabilitation and development programmes will be an added advantage.
· Previous professional experience in the areas of rural development, natural resources and environmental management.
· Familiarity with and Field exposure to UNHCR programme planning and implementation and on humanitarian operations.
· Fluency in English and UN working language of duty station if not English. Proficiency in additional UN languages like Arabic is desired
· Managing Performance Level 2
· Empowering and Building Trust Level 2
· Managing Resources Level 2
· Leadership Level 2
· Strategic Planning and Vision Level 2
· Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
· Political Awareness Level 2
· Stakeholder Management Level 2
· Policy Development & Research Level 2
· Planning and Organizing Level 2
· Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Level 2
· Technological Awareness Level 2
· Change Capability and Adaptability Level 2
· Analytical Thinking Level 2
· Innovation and Creativity Level 2
How to Apply:
All interested applicants who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 27th October, 2016
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline