Job Title: Technical Officer- Lab SPARS
Organization: Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Equipment, Logistics and Supplies (ELS) Coordinator
Job ID: 13-9238
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of nearly 2500 people from more than 74 nationalities working in over 50 countries. Our mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with our partners, we are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
Job Summary: The Technical Officer- Lab SPARS (Supervision Performance Assessment Recognition Strategy) is a secondment from the Uganda Health Supply Chain project to the Central Public Health Laboratories (CPHL). The main function of the Technical Officer - SPARS will be to support CPHL to implement the Lab SPARS strategy. The incumbent will work together with the other CPHL/UHSC secondments, and UHSC staff to ensure that the Lab SPARS is implemented according to the implementation plan, relevant trainings undertaken, regular supervisions scheduled, health facility staff are mentored and performance assessments carried out to measure performance according to the monitoring indicators. He/she will work with the district-based Lab SPARS Supervisors to ensure that all supervision data is captured and input into the electronic system, for onward analysis and generation of reports for central CPHL and district levels.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Offer support to the CPHL Equipment, Logistics and Supplies (ELS) Coordinator and the Laboratory Advisor in all aspects related to training and implementation of the Laboratory SPARS by ensuring that the following are undertaken in a timely manner
· Finalisation of Lab SPARS training materials (trainers’ guide, participants’ guide and PowerPoint presentations)
· Identify the trainers for Lab SPARs with the target of ensuring sustainability.
· Work closely with the CPHL Equipment, Logistics and Supplies (ELS) Coordinator and training coordinators, ensure that all District-based Lab SPARS Supervisors in the implementation districts, are trained in supervision and performance assessment, with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
· Participate in the trainings and practical field visits.
Support the CPHL Equipment, Logistics and Supplies (ELS) Coordinator and UHSC Lab Advisor in the implementation of the Laboratory SPARS by ensuring that the following are undertaken in a timely manner:
· In charge of the review and update of the performance assessment tool
· Responsible for the development of Lab SPARS implementation plans, timelines and budgets for all activities.
· Supporting the rollout of LAB SPARS through orientation of Lab SPARS Supervisors on the Lab SPARS database
· Follow-up and ensuring that all Lab SPARS Supervisors in selected districts have quarterly supervision work plans and that supervisions are conducted as scheduled, in a bid to ensure health facilities adopt positive practices in all aspects of the Laboratory supply chain.
· Provide ongoing administrative support for Lab SPARS to districts (attending to emergent issues arising regarding logistics, reimbursements, supportive tools for the SPARS Supervisors, work plans, etc)
· Perform any other duties assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicants for the Management Sciences for Health (MSH) Technical Officer- Lab SPARS career placement must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory Sciences or related qualification.
· Additional qualifications in laboratory logistics/supply chain management is an added advantage.
· A minimum of five years’ experience in supporting lab services delivery.
· Previous experience in logistics, supply chain management of lab commodities, and laboratory logistics management and information (LMIS) systems.
· Familiarity with supply chain concepts and laboratory supplies/logistics indicators is an added advantage.
· Working experience in the Ugandan public health sector with relevant knowledge of Uganda's public laboratory network.
· Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
· Excellent presentation, report writing and English Language-oral and written-skills
· Working experience in US Government - supported programs is an added advantage.
· Flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and shifting deadlines.
· Good team work, communication and project management skills.
· Strong capacity building/training experience.
· Ability to meet tight deadlines.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the Management Sciences for Health in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking on the link below.
Deadline: 12th October, 2016 by 5:00pm
For more of the latest jobs, please visit http://www.theugandanjobline.com or find us on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/UgandanJobline